Assistant Archivist (Part-time)
£14,500 per annum / 12 month fixed-term contract (Maternity Cover) Part-time (24 hours per week – Monday + two other days)
The Royal Opera House is the major lyric arts theatre in the United Kingdom, enjoying an international reputation for excellence. The Royal Opera House Collections contain materials covering the history of the three theatres that have stood on the site since 1732. The department is involved in a full range of activities to ensure the preservation of the Collections and to make them accessible to a wide audience.
We are currently seeking an experienced Assistant Archivist to assist in managing the full range of services required to ensure the safe and appropriate care and storage of, and access to, the Collections. The role is offered as maternity cover for 12 months.
Reporting to the Archivist, the responsibilities of the role will include:
- Developing and maintaining the cataloguing of specific collections, including administrative records and personal papers, using Adlib and in-house standards.
- Managing the press cuttings collection, ensuring the capture of paper and electronic records, and supervising project volunteers.
- Identifying and processing new acquisitions and deposits of materials from other departments.
- Helping to manage the department’s information service, researching and answering enquiries and supervising visiting researchers.
- Assisting in the practical management and preservation of the Collections at Covent Garden and off site stores.
The successful candidate will hold a post-graduate qualification in Archives Administration and be able to demonstrate:
- Experience of reader services and the ability to deal with people at all levels.
- Experience of cataloguing administrative records and/or special collections, using archive cataloguing systems (Adlib desirable).
- Knowledge of the principles of collections management, conservation and preservation handling.
- Strong communication skills and high standard of written and verbal English.
- Strong time management and the capacity to manage a busy workload.
- Some knowledge of ballet, music and opera and the history and work of the Royal Opera House is desirable.
A full job description and an application form are available on our website or from the Personnel Department on 020 7212 9124. If you feel that you can make a positive contribution in this post, please send a hand-written covering letter, application form, and equal opportunities monitoring form to:
Laura Bowden, HR Administrator, Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London WC2E 9DD or email to [log in to unmask]
Closing Date for applications: 9.00am, Monday 7th February 2011.
You must be available to start work on Monday 28th March 2011.
Applicants must have work authorisation for the UK.
Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask]
For information about joining, leaving and suspending mail (eg during a holiday) see the list website at