JiscMail Logo

Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  January 2011

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER January 2011

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: Educational influence and Social Formation

Graham Trevor Myers <[log in to unmask]>

Practitioner-Researcher <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Jan 2011 12:05:29 +0200

text/plain

Dear Sara,

I am one of those side-lines that forms part of Joan's story.   For a long time I wandered around being criticised by all and sundry who said that what I was doing was not worthwhile.   In trying to get to conferences I was told that this is not a travel agency.   It was assumed that I was trotting the globe for tourism purposes and not to learn.

Research seems to be about pushing back the boundaries of ALL knowledge and not just those sections that the establishment feel is justifiable.   How has the Durban University of Technology got this critical mass of like thinkers together is amazing.   There are some important criteria that are necessary.   There must be a leader.  Joan has been that in DUT.  Her mind has been open to all things.  This has been form one of my student's interest in Umthagati (witchcraft) to another mother's interest in  virginity testing in rural areas.   I could have shut these students down but indigenous knowledge is out there and for some this life is very real.    The group of people that meet once a week are willing to accept the vastness of knowledge, beyond what is written or known (in academic circles).   The type of people make the group and we have that.

Weekly meetings are populated with different people every week.  Some come from the arts, some from the sciences, some from health, and some from other academic institutions.   But growth takes place.   It is a place to ask questions and a place to practice your own presentations.  The other important point is that it does not fall on the shoulders of one person.   There are at least two administrators that seem to keep things together and some three people who lead.   Then there are the outside people brought in every so often which spices up the interest, but probably the binding meeting is the once a year get together of everyone where workshops are held.

You will never know how wonderful it is to be in the presence of others who accept what you are doing and feed into your growth.  Everyone is drawn in and I hope that one or two others agree with me.

Perhaps you would like to join the next get together that Joan holds in Durban.  Already there are more than 50 people at these three day meetings but place for one more will always be arranged for a fellow researcher who wants to benefit.

Graham in Taxation