Re: Record warming isn't news

Bob Ward <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Jan 2011 13:04:45 -0000

text/plain

Hi George,

I have seen this article by Gerlich and Tscheuschner - it makes for very amusing reading as it claims that the greenhouse effect is impossible because it would require a violation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics. The trouble with this ingenious refutation is that if the greenhouse effect doesn't exit then the average temperature of the surface of the Earth should currently be about -19 degrees Celsius. Even allowing for the cold polar regions, it is obvious that the surface is not that cold - in fact the average temperature is about 14C ie 33 degrees C warmer than it would be without the greenhouse effect.

If such a fundamental flaw did exist in the theory of the greenhouse effect, I think it would have been picked up a bit earlier in the 150 years since Tyndall identified carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas.

The paper by Gerlich and Tscheuschner was rebutted by Arthur Smith of the American Physical Society here: http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0802/0802.4324v1.pdf

And then debunked in the same journal here: http://www.worldscinet.com/ijmpb/24/2410/S021797921005555X.html

The abstract of this article states:

In this journal, Gerhard Gerlich and Ralf D. Tscheuschner claim to have falsified the existence of an atmospheric greenhouse effect.1 Here, we show that their methods, logic, and conclusions are in error. Their most significant errors include trying to apply the Clausius statement of the Second Law of Thermodynamics to only one side of a heat transfer process rather than the entire process, and systematically ignoring most non-radiative heat flows applicable to the Earth's surface and atmosphere. They claim that radiative heat transfer from a colder atmosphere to a warmer surface is forbidden, ignoring the larger transfer in the other direction which makes the complete process allowed. Further, by ignoring heat capacity and non-radiative heat flows, they claim that radiative balance requires that the surface cool by 100 K or more at night, an obvious absurdity induced by an unphysical assumption. This comment concentrates on these two major points, while also taking note of some of Gerlich and Tscheuschner's other errors and misunderstandings.

Gerlich and Tscheuschner attempt to rebut this scathing critique here: http://www.worldscinet.com/ijmpb/24/2410/S0217979210055573.html

In short, it demonstrates that peer review is not flawless. The original paper was classified as a review article, which means that it was invited by the journal editor(s), in contrast to the usual research articles in which the author(s) simply submit a paper for publication. There are a few peer-reviewed papers around by some self-proclaimed skeptics, but they all contain glaring errors and/or misrepresentations. Most of the time, the research community does not bother to rebut these papers, since they have no impact on the science. Unfortunately, they can have a broader impact by being used as propaganda disseminated by 'sceptics' on unwitting non-technical audiences who may not be able to spot the problems.

It is for this reason that I went to the trouble of thoroughly debunking a paper by Bob Carter which was published by the official journal of the Queensland branch of the Australian Economic Society: http://www.eap-journal.com.au/archive/v40_i2_02_ward.pdf

Bob Ward

Policy and Communications Director
Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment
Houghton Street
London WC2A 2AE

http://www.lse.ac.uk/grantham

Tel. +44 (0) 20 7106 1236