Help for THE-THURSDAY-CLUB Archives

THE-THURSDAY-CLUB Archives

THE-THURSDAY-CLUB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

THE-THURSDAY-CLUB Home

THE-THURSDAY-CLUB  December 2010

THE-THURSDAY-CLUB December 2010

[Fwd: 2012 Open Call - Watermans New Media]

Janis Jefferies <[log in to unmask]>

Janis Jefferies <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Dec 2010 18:49:28 -0000

Dear All

Please find attached information for an Open Call for proposals for a
series of exhibitions and events in 2012 at Watermans.

I would be grateful if you could pass on to anyone you think might be
interested to apply.

If you would like more information about the project, please feel free to
contact me.

Many thanks and best wishes

Irini

Irini Papadimitriou

Head of New Media Arts Development

Watermans

40 High Street

Brentford

TW8 0DS

Direct line: +44 (0)20 8232 1012

Admin: +44 (0)20 8232 1020

www.watermans.org.uk

OPEN CALL - Watermans 2012 New Media Exhibitions project

To coincide with the Olympics in London in 2012, Watermans is pleased to
announce a unique opportunity to present a series of groundbreaking
installations exploring interactivity and participation in New Media and
Digital Art. Much New Media / Digital Art is increasingly aimed at
interaction with the audience and artists are continuously exploring new
ways of viewer participation.

This year long project proposes to showcase the work of distinguished
artists from all continents, including a British artist, with an interest
in projects concerned with ways of participation, interactivity or
collaboration and consider the use or importance of technologies in their
work. With this we are hoping to initiate and enable a series of
discussions around the meaning, possibilities and issues around human
interaction and engagement in New Media art and bring in responses from
artists, academics, students, art professionals and visitors in the UK and
internationally.

OPEN CALL:

Artists and art collectives from all countries working with new media and
digital technologies are invited to submit proposals of existing or new
projects. Interested artists can propose to show more than one
installation or projects and we will welcome applications from
individuals, art collectives or collaborations between artists.

We would like to invite artists to propose imaginative, ambitious and
inspirational projects that will transform our understanding of art and
the way it can be experienced. We will particularly focus on installations
with an emphasis on participatory activity (interaction with the audience)
in order to engage visitors in a creative, exploratory and inspirational
journey prior to and during the Games.

Please send your proposals including:

● work(s) description

● CV(s) and artist statement

● supporting material with description (jpgs, urls, videos etc)

● list of technical requirements, equipment, materials required for the
proposed work(s)

● contact details

Budget

Each artist/art collective will receive a fixed fee of £3,500 to cover
fees & project costs, installation and work transport. In addition,
Watermans will cover travel and accommodation costs in London and will
also provide technical assistance and exhibition promotion.

The deadline for receiving proposals is 24th February 2011.

Please send all application material to:

Irini Papadimitriou

Head of New Media Arts Development

Watermans

40 High Street

Brentford, London

TW8 0DS

UK

email: [log in to unmask]

A judging panel will select the six projects which will be announced in
March/April 2011. The exhibitions will run throughout 2012 (January -
October) and the project will provide an opportunity for presenting a
series of innovative and interactive digital/new media art installations
never before staged in London. With this project we hope to engage and
challenge artists and audiences in new and unexpected ways.

In conjunction with the exhibitions, and in partnership with Goldsmiths,
University of London, we are planning to run a series of seminars related
to the exhibitions, a mentoring scheme for students as well as generate
online activity with a website dedicated to the project and the use of
social media such as blogs, feeds etc to engage wider audiences in the
project and enable critical debate. Online visitors will be able to follow
the development of each exhibition as well as the artists’ work from
their studio on its way to the gallery in London. Information about the
seminars and mentoring scheme will be announced soon.