The Disability-Research Discussion List

Managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds

Help for DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH  November 2010

DISABILITY-RESEARCH November 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: Use of the word "vulnerable" and possible alternatives

erik leipoldt <[log in to unmask]>

erik leipoldt <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 09:48:03 +0800

text/plain

Language is a wonderful thing. So many meanings even when we think we are
talking about the same thing. Like 'disability', 'religious', 'courageous',
'dignity', 'care', 'autonomy' and so on. When we name disability having in
mind impairment, attitudes and environment as underlying it, it
automatically still registers as 'suffering' and a range of other negatives
in the mind of much of the public. To be religious can be a positive in the
right environment and being considered a close-minded zealot in another.
When politicians make a courageous decision they mean something different to
say independent advocacy for others in opposition to powerful opponents.
Dignity for many is lost when they become dependent on others for basic
bodily tasks. In the 'real' world it is experienced , when the chips
are down, as constructed of positive social and competently supportive
caring relationships.

Language has a emotional associations and deeper meanings many or most may
have forgotten - and that's just part of the dynamics of language. Question
is, should we ditch a word because it has a
negative feel, due to extensive contamination in how it has been used, like
'retarded', or should we resurrect explicitly using it in its original
meaning(s)? Answer probably is: it depends.

On vulnerability I will stick with it as a perfectly good word that, in
disability, describes a person being at risk of serious uhhhm...negative
impacts on health, life, security, wellbeing and is not in my view
extensively contaminated with negative meaning. But that can change..

As for using it to pertain to the situation and not the person Michael I
cannot see
how you could have a vulnerable situation wherein the person herself would
then
not be a vulnerable person. So, yes I do think vulnerability can attach to a
person. It is not about grammatical subtleties but about meanings of a
concept like vulnerability as a fact of life. With my own reality of
quadriplegia I would be
extremely vulnerable cfor example even if no-one turned up one day to get me
up or help me
back to bed, or performed some of my care routines incompetently. I have no
problem in acknowledging that.

The origins of vulnerability go back to 'vulnerabilis', my search reveals,
meaning the ability to be wounded or (vulnare meaning 'to wound') hurt or
being
exposed to danger. Some will be familiar with the concept of 'wounds' that
people with disability often have such as being rejected, lonely, seen as
eternal child, object of charity, pity, ridicule and so on. To propose this
concept of
wounding is a logical step after understanding vulnerability as
vulnerabilis. I am aware that to support the validity of this Wolfensberger
concept may render Michael vulnerable to an attack of apoplexy :-)))  but,
while expressing my sympathy, will continue to think of it as relevant and
explanatory. 'Vulnerability'
has a respectably aged heritage, apparently at least from the 16th century
(when we did have institutionalised 'service' settings but I do not know
that the notion of vulnerability was appreciated there - maybe someone does
know) and is used in lots of domains, not just disability service land
(though I agree that, like dependence, negative stereotyping can be
associated with vulnerability in these settings, in the ways I have
suggested). EG, it has been used in the rendering vulnerable of countries in
the GFC, in childhood development, in engineering, and in describing
unsustainable situation of our planet under worsening conditions of global
warming.

There seem to be different dimensions in this exploration of
'vulnerability.' One is the felt negative labeling of being named a
vulnerable person, acting as disabling language. Second, as explained there
is a meaning of vulnerability which is just an unemotional fact about the
human condition in an unpredictable world, something that we could manage by
paying attention to the disabling context. Banning the word 'vulnerable' as
pertaining to a person does not remove the fact of vulnerability for all of
us or heightened vulnerability for many people who have disabilities. Third
I think that 'risk' or rather, 'to be at risk of' something has some initial
appeal but on reflection has pitfalls greater than 'vulnerability' offers.

 'Risk' with its origin from halfway through the 17th century
is 'exposure to the chance of injury or loss; a hazard or dangerous chance:
It's not worth the risk.  ' Often it is used in insurance as 'the hazard or
chance of loss'; the degree of probability of such loss; the amount that the
insurance company may lose.;a person or thing with reference to the hazard
involved in insuring him,
her, or it; the type of loss, as life, fire, marine disaster, or earthquake,
against which an insurance policy is drawn.

The first thing I notice is that it is very much about loss. This is a
different from vulnerability as this is a consequence arising from exposure
to the chance of exposure to injury. Vulnerability just pertains to the
state of relative defencelessness against bad things that could happen. Risk
is very much associated with banking, investment, commerce and insurance,
the latter a concept where money can redress any
losses suffered. The higher the risk the higher the premium to pay for this
insurance.

Serviceland was also responsible for using the 'dignity of risk' as a
concept that was used to abandon people to their 'autonomous choices'
because this was according them the respect of being allowed to make bad
choices, even if the person was not fully capable of exercising their
autonomy and the risks could have serious consequencses. In my time as
tribunal member in n adult guardianship and administration jurisdictions it
was not uncommon to hear service organisations appeal to 'dignity of risk'
effectively absolving them of  their own inadequate care and support.

Interestingly, a serviceland/government-proposed 'National
Disability Insurance Scheme' (NDIS) in Australia is proposing that
underlying it is a view of "disability as risk." If disability is a risk in
'able-normal' life then it is a burden and not considered as a  normal part
of the human condition, as interdependence suggests it is. 'Vulnerability'
is a word that you will not find in any of the NDIS materials. It does not,
for one reason, because that would spread its exposure beyond the
medical-diagnostic group it has identified as its core recipients: those
with 'severe and profound' disabilities. Risk fits within the
market-economic view of life upon which the NDIS is also explicitly founded.
'Risk-avoidance' being one concept that would see a public-levy-funded
scheme such as this one spread ITS risks of pay outs and cut its losses.
This is a far cry from paying attention to fundamental needs of the people
who would stand to benefit from this 'scheme.' I view the market-economic
colonisation of 'being of service' as a disabling reality that contributes
to our vulnerability. Risk then is also a word that sanitises vulnerability
in the same way that global warming has become the more innocuous-sounding
climate change. It also has a strong disabling flavour in describing
disability as loss, compensable with money and by extention a burden. It is
therefore more accurate, and a better protection, of a person who may be in
a coma in an underresourced, outsourced, cost-benefit run hospital system to
call them highly vulnerable rather than describe the situation in terms of
risk. Vulnerable in that situation is to call a spade a spade.

I admit I am unaware of the risk literature Susie refers to so this is the
extent of my critique of risk and vulnerability.

Kind regards

Erik Leipoldt

EW----- Original Message -----