BRITARCH November 2010

Re: 'Archaeology under threat in UK'

J DAVIS <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:05:06 +0000

The answer to question 1 is easier these days because, in the UK at least, there is more effort to make collections available (Birmingham Collections Centre springs to mind as somewhere that is encouraging the public to engage with stored material) and we do make much available online these days. One of the arguments for digitisation that I have found very effective during the last decade is that it does enable us to make public collections more accessible, especially where the original is too fragile for permanent or frequent display.

and as for question 2 - I had just been trying to calm down after reading that art critic Brian Sewell had been saying that local authorities should sell off their collections (his understanding of the value of culture has been questioned as a consequence of that statement)...

Try to get people to imagine a world with no past, no culture...absolutely none...for a start, they wouldn't have words or pictures to describe what it would be like...

Janet

Janet E Davis