VAR-L October 2010

Tools for Linguistic Anthropologists

Damien Hall <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 30 Oct 2010 12:29:56 +0100

People who were interested in the recent discussion of practical fieldwork
tips (and who are interested in questions of equipment generally) may also
be interested in this new page from the Society for Linguistic
Anthropology, about recording (and other?) tools in our sister field,
linguistic anthropology. I haven't read the site through, but SLA materials
are generally well-produced, well-thought-out and useful (and I'm certain
that some subscribers to this list are also SLA members and will agree with
me!).

Damien

--
Damien Hall

http://www.york.ac.uk/res/aiseb

http://www.york.ac.uk/language/staff/academic-research/damien-hall/

DISCLAIMER: http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date:     Sat, 30 Oct 2010 00:00:07 -0400
From:     LINGANTH automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: LINGANTH Digest - 28 Oct 2010 to 29 Oct 2010 (#2010-107)
To:       [log in to unmask]

There is 1 message totalling 36 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Announcing a new SLA resource site on tools for Linguistic Anthropologists

Date:    Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:46:23 -0600
From:    Leila Monaghan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Announcing a new SLA resource site on tools for Linguistic Anthropologists

We are very pleased to announce the first of a series of new resource sites,
"Tools for Linguistic Anthropologists", a blog and archive for the latest
information about audio, video, and other tools we use in our field:
http://kit.linguisticanthropology.org/about/

The site currently includes articles by Mark Sicoli and Robin Shoaps and
links to useful websites from Bartek Plitchta, Andy Kovolos, and the
American Folklife Center.  More articles and suggestions for links are very
welcome.  We are particularly interested in pieces talking about how you use
particular equipment in the field.

See Mark Sicoli's piece on Video Recording for an example of what we have on
offer.
http://kit.linguisticanthropology.org/2010/10/28/video-recording/

We will be posting a permanent link to this site on the official SLA Website
under Resource tab shortly.

all best,

Leila and Alex

--