JiscMail Logo

Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  October 2010

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER October 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: Intangible Presence

"Alan Rayner (BU)" <[log in to unmask]>

Practitioner-Researcher <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 30 Oct 2010 10:07:52 +0100

Dear Sara,

Like others who have already responded, I find your message here very rich
and evocative. I also very much appreciated your previous 'venting'! I sense
so much in common with your experience and feelings - not least the pleasure
derived from seeing your co-learners' eyes light up and the distress of
being able to envisage a remedy for the greatest of all human ills, only to
have your credibility and path to communicating this blocked in each and
every way by the very 'brain damage' you are trying to alleviate.

I do, however, see a danger for you, and for others (including me) who may
share your feelings, in some of your discourse.

To be blunt: Please don't forsake the 'vertical' (what I might call the
'figural') in your quest for the 'horizontal' (what I might call the
'transfigural'). The inclusional 'middle' way is to understand each as a
dynamic inclusion of the other, not to alienate or conflate them.

What your young friend 'saw', I'd venture to suggest, was not 'all oneness'
but 'each in the otherness'. He saw that the rationalistic perception of
'space' and 'object' as discontinuous neither makes consistent sense nor is
consistent with our sensory experience. As I wrote recently in my paper in
'Environmental Economics':

"All that may ultimately be needed to unlock ourselves from this unnatural
confinement imposed by abstract rationality is the simple understanding that
space cannot be cut, confined or excluded and so is a continuous presence
throughout and beyond the energetic boundary interfacings of natural figures
as flow-forms. By the same token, boundaries are energetic interfacings
between inner and outer realms, not fixed limits. This simple move from
regarding space and boundaries as sources of discontinuity and discrete
definition to sources of continuity and dynamic distinction provides the
basis of what, in ecological and evolutionary terms has been called ‘natural
inclusionality’."

I have attached a short paper about the relation between vertical/radial and
horizontal/tangential, together with a painting of the inclusion of each in
the other enables 'compassion to fruit', which relates in turn to the poem
pasted below.

I hope these offerings may help you in retaining the 'figural backbone' with
which to resist the impositional self-definition of purely analytical
thought, which is unable to incorporate the transfigural, 'intangible
presence' in its 'stance' and 'substance'.

Warmest

Alan