LIS-LINK  October 2010

LIS-LINK October 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

UKSG Course - E-Resources Technical Update, Dublin, 15 November 2010

Karen Sadler <[log in to unmask]>

Karen Sadler <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:08:29 +0100

text/plain

** Apologies for cross-posting **

A few places remain on this course:

UKSG are pleased to offer our E-Resources Technical Update

Monday 15 November 2010: Dublin

Course summary

Many of us working directly with e-resources in libraries would like to feel
more confident in our understanding of the related technology.  Managing
e-resources and making them available to end-users is quite different from
dealing with print products, but many of us have moved from one to the
other, picking up expertise informally.  As a result we probably all have
gaps in our knowledge and understanding, and the need to gain a proper
balanced overview of the technical environment is crucial if we are to do
our jobs effectively.

The UKSG E-Resources Technical Update course will give you a good
understanding of the underlying technicalities involved in e-resource set-up
and delivery, including e-journals, online databases and e-books, and will
help you feel more confident in your day-to-day work.

Why you should attend

The course will be invaluable for anyone from a non-technical background
working with
e-journals and other e-resources.  The atmosphere of the day will be
friendly and supportive and participants will be encouraged to share any
issues or problems they encounter in their work.

Course level and previous knowledge required

It is recommended that those completely new to dealing with journals should
first attend the UKSG Introduction to Serials and E-Resources Today, a
one-day seminar run in a variety of locations covering all aspects of the
serials and e-resources industry and featuring an introductory technical
session.  If you are not completely new to journals no previous knowledge is
required.

Learning objectives

*	Learn how to overcome common problems in implementing e-resources
*	Have the tools to help you decide the best way of setting up access
to e-resources in your institution/organisation
*	Be confident that you understand the technical landscape when
dealing with
e-resource providers.

Feedback from ERTU courses held in 2009

“It met needs that I didn’t know I had, especially on e-books.”

“Good coverage on all aspects, and the technical aspects were well explained
for the lay person.”

“Very thorough coverage of technology affecting libraries.”

“Excellent interaction and commentary – well done.”

“This course covered lots of things that I sort of thought I knew but was
never quite sure.  It’s all fallen into place now, so thanks!”

“Very professionally organised and presented.”

Course content

The course will be continually updated, but core content will include:

The E-Resource Environment: An Overview

*	Identifying the major players involved in e-resource provision
*	The differences between gateways, platforms, publisher web sites,
aggregators, search engine-based gateways and library gateways.

E-Resource Discovery

*	Where do users choose to begin their research?
*	What are the differences in preferred starting points for
researchers and undergraduates?

Access Control and User Authentication

*	Definition of terms – authentication, authorisation, access control
*	User authentication methodologies
*	IP address ranges, proxies and firewalls
*	Athens, Athens DA, digital certificates and Shibboleth
*	Identity 2.0 developments.

Library Technology in E-Resource Management and Discovery

*	Linking through URL and OpenURL, the development and importance of
Link Servers
*	The role of library web pages, OPACs, A-Z lists, Federated Search
and administration/admin. tools.

The Future of User Navigation to E-Resources

*	Technologies that are enabling gateways of the future: RSS feeds,
blogs, collaborative authoring, professional networking technologies.

How to book

Please book via the UKSG website – www.uksg.org/event/ertu151110  – or
contact me as below.

Venue location details will be sent with confirmation of booking.

Cancellations

By Thursday 4 November 2010    Full refund

From Friday 5 November 2010     No refund

Fee     (includes refreshments and lunch)

UKSG members       £185.00 (VAT exempt)
Non-members          £250.00 (VAT exempt)

Venue

Law Society of Ireland, Dublin

NB:  UK Serials Group reserves the right to alter or vary the programme due
to events or circumstances beyond its reasonable control without being
obliged to refund monies.

Karen Sadler

Administrator

UKSG

Tel. +44 (0)1865 310834

Fax. +44(0)1865 310834

www.uksg.org

UK Serials Association trading as United Kingdom Serials Group

A company registered in England and limited by guarantee

Company Number: 4145775 Registered Charity Number: 1093946

Registered office: Bowman & Hillier Building,

The Old Brewery, Priory Lane, Burford, Oxon OX18 4SG