Re: PG reading skills workshop

Sandra Sinfield <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:49:05 +0100

Pauline's suggestion in re textmapping is a really good one - and it has
inspired many colleagues here at London Met. There's also a set of
different/fun reading tasks that were sent in by LDHEN members in the
past: Ask students to read and:

* Produce a drawing or visual summary of the text

* Find an object that represents something from the text … discuss

* Produce one question that you would ask the author
*Write two questions that Jeremy Paxman might ask the author

* Give a one minute presentation

* Everyone selects one sentence from the text that they have found
meaningful (a main point or an idea with which to argue) – writes on
board and says they chose it

* One groups highlights key points, another *blacks out* everything that
is NOT necessary ...

* Make an Xtranormal movie of the main ideas in the texts: *Text to
Movie resource:* http://www.xtranormal.com/

*Produce three words that describe how the text made them feel

* Produce a bare bones summary (25 words)...

Best,
Sandra

--
Sandra Sinfield
Co-ordinator (North) Learning Development

Companies Act 2006 : http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/companyinfo