BRITARCH October 2010

Re: Calls for Treasure Act review

Win Scutt <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Oct 2010 22:36:42 +0100

I have given the CBA's request for a review of the Treasure Act some
publicity on my weekly 'World Archaeology News' on BBC Radio 5 Live's Up All
Night programme tonight. To be broadcast at 3.35am, it can still be heard
for a week on BBC iPlayer from tomorrow at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0070h86
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0070h86>Best Wishes
Win

On 11 October 2010 14:51, Mike Heyworth <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The Council for British Archaeology has asked the DCMS Minister for
> Culture, Communications & Creative Industries Ed Vaizey MP to move forward
> with the long-awaited review of the Treasure Act as soon as possible. In a
> statement on the CBA web site (
> http://www.britarch.ac.uk/news/101011-treasureactreview) I said:
>
> "The review of the Treasure Act was due to have taken place back in 2007.
> We are writing to the Minister for Culture, Communications and Creative
> Industries Ed Vaizey MP to ask him to ensure that the long-promised review
> happens as a matter of urgency. It was a tragedy that the Crosby Garrett
> helmet has now apparently disappeared into a private collection and may
> never be seen in public again. This is not in the public interest, and it is
> certainly highly frustrating for all the supporters of the fantastic appeal
> to raise funds to keep the find in Cumbria in a public museum where it
> surely belongs.
>
> The CBA believes that the definition of Treasure should be extended to
> incorporate Roman base metal hoards and single finds of Roman and
> Anglo-Saxon coins made of precious metal.
>
> At the same time the CBA will be asking the Culture Minister to speak with
> colleagues in the Ministry of Justice to move forward with the
> implementation of aspects of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009 which relate
> to the Treasure Act."
>
> This follows on from an earlier column I wrote for the CBA's 'British
> Archaeology' magazine published earlier this year on metal detecting and
> treasure - see http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/ba111/update.shtml.
>
> I have written to Ed Vaizey today as follows:
>
> "Dear Minister
>
> Treasure Act review
>
> In an article published in the CBA's British Archaeology magazine earlier
> in 2010 (copy attached) I called for the long-awaited review of the Treasure
> Act (originally promised for 2007). The review will provide an opportunity
> for the Government to consider the extension of the definition of Treasure
> to include base metal hoards of Roman date (which can be achieved without
> the need for primary legislation). Had this opportunity been taken in the
> last three years then the nationally important Crosby Garrett helmet would
> have fallen within the definition of Treasure and it is likely that it would
> have remained in public hands. It is a tragedy that the helmet may never
> been seen in public again, though if there is an attempt to take it out of
> the UK then I would urge you most strongly to use your powers under the
> export licensing regime to provide a further opportunity for the helmet to
> be purchased by the Tullie House Museum in Cumbria.
>
> We appreciate that there are a number of high priority issues demanding
> your attention, but the CBA urges you to press ahead with the review of the
> Treasure Act as soon as possible. At the same time we would encourage you to
> [...]

Win Scutt
www.archaeology.ws
My Google Profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/113562176011688708693
Programme Manager, Archaeological Practice
Programme Manager, Tourism
City College Plymouth