Re: Holly Fairhall's Blog

Fiona Musk <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Oct 2010 10:50:03 +0100

I'm writing this in a personal capacity -

I think it should also be noted that Holly is trying to start at the bottom and work up - she is looking for paid pre-course experience, not a job as a qualified head/county/city archivist and is understandably becoming frustrated that she has not been able to find such a position, even with what looks like good volunteering experience.  She's trying to break into the profession and is finding that difficult - just like those who are qualified and are looking for work are finding it difficult.

It is frustrating when you want to start a career, and are trying to do it properly - getting the experience, applying for paid posts, getting a place on an archives course, then trying to find a position as a qualified archivist and it's not happening the way you thought it would, and while it may not be the best idea to vent your frustrations on a public blog where potential employers may read it, I don't think that she's said anything which would make her unemployable (and the fact that Brent Archives have also commented on her work as a volunteer shows that they are happy with Holly's work).

I quite enjoyed reading the blog (and the comments!) and will continue to read the posts.

Fiona Musk

Archivist

Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives

Legal and Democratic Services

Corporate Governance

Old Aberdeen House

Dunbar Street

Aberdeen

AB24 3UJ

Email: [log in to unmask]

Direct Dial: (+44) (0)1224 481775

Direct Fax: (+44) (0)1224 495830

Visit Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives at www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/archives

Please do not print this email unless absolutely necessary.

>>> Moore Craig <[log in to unmask]> 06/10/2010 10:30 >>>

Life is tough............ Get on your bike...... No one ever give me a handout........ Kids today want it all on a silver plate! yadda yadda

While there is wisdom in that sentiment. Do you not think we all have a professional responsibility to make sure that the labour market for archivists is not over supplied and instead more or less matches demand?

On a personal note I wish people would stop attacking this young woman just because she is brave enough to publicly state what a lot of us have being saying in private for a few years now.

Craig Moore