Job Vacancy at the INCa-Synergie Bioinformatics Facility for Cancer Genomics
Statistician with genomics expertise
Recognizing the major opportunities offered by new genotyping and next generation sequencing technologies in the field of cancer genomics, the INCa-Synergie Bioinformatics Facility for Cancer Genomics was recently developed to promote the exploitation of the massive amounts of genomic data being generated from large scale genomic projects. The facility is actively involved in the International Cancer Genetics Consortium (ICGC). It is also involved in Genome Wide Association Studies for traits that are relevant to cancer (including cancer predisposition).
Its main financial contributors are the Institut National du Cancer, the Synergie-Lyon-Cancer foundation and the Canceropole Lyon Auvergne Rhone-Alpes (CLARA).
The INCa-Synergie facility is hosted by a major French comprehensive cancer center (Centre Leon Berard) which includes a very active cancer research center
(http://oncora1.lyon.fnclcc.fr/english_version/index_eng.html). It is in close proximity to and collaborates with the International Agency for Research on Cancer, IARC (http://www.iarc.fr). The facility is a componenent of the "Pole Rhone-Alpes de Bioinformatique, PRABI (http://www.prabi.fr/), which federates major bioinformatic teams. Thus the facility benefits both from strong biomedical and bioinformatics environments. It has acquired a large HPC equipment (430 cores, 1.5 To RAM, 100 To rapid disk space). The staff includes one administrator and 4
bioinformaticians/statisticians who work under the supervision of the facility director, Pr.Gilles Thomas. The facility will open in the coming months two new positions. This job Description corresponds to one of these positions.
2- Description of duties
Working in a team of experienced bioinformaticians/statsiticians and in close
collaboration with French partner groups and international research centers, the candidate
will be in charge of :
• analyzing large genotypic and sequence data sets from cases and controls to
enable the reliable localization on the chromosomes of association signals.
• applying various statistical approaches to identify population structure, to
account for differences between the case and control groups and to perform SNP
• initiating with investigators trained in mathematics, statistics, informatics and
genomics and with the collaborating sequence production teams, methods for the
efficient processing and analysis of nucleotide sequences, adapted to the huge
volume of data produced by genomic technologies (quality control, identification
and analysis of correlations, genome reconstruction and characterization
• developing data mining tools to best characterize the reconstructed genomes and
generate biological knowledge.
• testing and developing these methods and tools to a level that will allow their
implementation in standard analytical package.
• gaining expertise in, developing and applying quality control procedures to your
work in accordance with the ISO 9001:2000 standard.
• continually evaluating new technologies, algorithms and publications relevant to
the scientific field.
• bringing his/her expertise in data mining to specific requests from the
collaborating research teams.
3- Required Qualification
Advanced university degree (Masters and/or PhD) in statistics and informatics.
• Statistical modeling
• Descriptive and inferred statistics
• Simulation methods, model fitting, optimization
• Experience in PCA, clustering methods and more general data analysis
• Network and graph analysis
• Machine learning
• Knowledge of the major genomic databases and their interfaces
• Thorough knowledge of the main computing and statistical packages (notably R,
• Practical knowledge of scripting (Linux/UNIX) and programming languages
(such as perl/bioperl, python) and of database query (SQL).
3.3 Professional experience
At least two years of relevant professional experience including international
collaboration in the field of statistical genomics.
3.4 Complementary information:
Communication in French is not required but advanced English language, excellent
communication and interpersonal skills are essential. The candidate should be self
motivated, capable of working both independently and within a closely interacting team
of scientists and be able to deliver a quality product with fixed deadlines.
4- Contract and submission procedure
Fixed term appointment (two years) will be offered to the successful candidate. Starting
date will depend on availability of the successful candidate. It may be as early as
4.2 Work location :
4.3 Submission procedure :
Letter of motivation, curriculum vitae and addresses of three referees are to be provided
in electronic form to the following e-mail address : [log in to unmask], prior to
October 15, 2010 .
You may leave the list at any time by sending the command
to [log in to unmask], leaving the subject line blank.