NAMHE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

NAMHE Home

NAMHE  September 2010

NAMHE September 2010

Re: Music degrees - a brief history?

Peter Johnson <[log in to unmask]>

National Association for Music in Higher Education Network <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:59:14 +0100

Paul and colleagues,

It may be of interest that at Birmingham Conservatoire we believe we were the first to introduce an Honours Degree for essentially (primarily) performance-based study.  We started this, if I remember rightly, in Sept. 1991.  This followed lengthy interrogation as to how mere performers could be deemed to have achieved degree-worthiness after four years of study!  Most of the other UK conservatoires quickly followed our lead and nowadays this is never an issue at course validations.  Interestingly, it still remains an issue today at post-masters level, where exactly the same objection is often raised - that performing is 'non-academic' (whatever that means).

Best wishes,

Peter