Re: Music degrees - a brief history?

Mark Summers <[log in to unmask]>

National Association for Music in Higher Education Network <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Sep 2010 22:42:19 +0100

From what I remember, the first 'modern' BMus was set up by Frederick Niecks whilst he was Reid Professor at Edinburgh University (1891-1914).
Mark
From: National Association for Music in Higher Education Network [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ronald Woodley [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 27 September 2010 18:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Music degrees - a brief history?

Paul,

Since this falls vaguely within my area, you might like to know that the earliest reference to the baccalaureate in music at Cambridge is around 1456, with the first named BMus (Henry Abyngdon) there in 1464. At Oxford there was a named BMus (Robert Wydow) by 1479. (By around 1461-2 there was also a named DMus (Thomas St Just).) From slightly later references (e.g. Richard Ede at Oxford in 1506-7) it is fairly clear, and interesting in the long historical view, that many of these early music degrees, both BMus and DMus, were essentially awarded for polyphonic composition (with other Boethian learning thrown in for good measure), the details of the requirements (often a mass and an antiphon setting) sometimes being given in the candidate’s supplication for the degree. (See the Appendix ‘Music in the Faculty of Arts’ by John Caldwell, in The History of the University of Oxford, vol. 3, ed. T.H. Aston and James McConica (Oxford, 1986).)

Best wishes,

Ron

Professor Ronald Woodley
Research Department