Help for CRISIS-FORUM Archives

CRISIS-FORUM Archives

CRISIS-FORUM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

CRISIS-FORUM Home

CRISIS-FORUM  September 2010

CRISIS-FORUM September 2010

Re: a strategic response from the littlest activists

George Marshall <[log in to unmask]>

George Marshall <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:29:39 +0100

Thanks Hamish
I will circulate

I must say I found the first one about Felix most interesting, though I
found its choice of oompah and kiddie music which I found condescending.

I was wondering  about Alex Loorz in the second video. I watched what he
said from the point of view of messaging. I doubt if he works as a child
communicator.  Apart from his rhetoric of speaking for the new generation he
doesn't seem to say or behave in a way that makes a connection with people
of own age group. I am sure he  is inspiring for adults because he looks and
sounds just like a little adult. He uses the same language and messages as
adults so not surprisingly people call him the next Al Gore.  He seems
extremely confident and wholesome- I wouldn't have wanted anything to do
with him when I was a teen. I would have wanted someone less confident in
themselves, less fluent in the language of NGO campaigning, and a bit more
raw and angry

Then I did a little looking around and it is clear that his mother Victoria
Loorz is hugely involved in his career- they co-founded the non profit Kids
vs Global Warming and she works full time for it. Victoria also developed
and owns the trademark for 'imatter' which is an iplayer plug in to engage
kids in climate change being strong propoted by the Loorz's.
Not doubting their sincerity of Alex's remarkable skills, but Alex is not
exactly a self motivated speaker for youth- he seems to be the kid front for
a family business- it feels rather like Hollywood kid stars and their moms.

There are lessons in this for youth communicators- we know how important it
is to engage young audiences in belief and action, especially given the
current cultural disposition to cynical consumerism. Peer speakers are
hugely important. There are many awards for new youth leaders (Alex has
garned a good dozen of them)...but the question is whether youth leader
types like Alex really generate change or alienate their peer group?

Just some thoughts

George