CRISIS-FORUM  September 2010

CRISIS-FORUM September 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

geo-engineering solutions to the climate change crisis

Oliver Tickell <[log in to unmask]>

Oliver Tickell <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:55:00 +0100

text/plain

What I am advocating right now is research into geoengineering, not
deployment.

There are however things we can be doiing right now, by way of stopping
harmful things we are doing which are 'reverse geoengineering'. These
include most particularly reductions in black carbon (soot) emmisions from
biomass burning, charcoal kilning, dirty stoves, 2-stroke and diesel
engines, and industrial sources; and a rapid end to emissions of the PIGGs
or powerful industrial greenhouse gases such as the HFCs widely used in
refrigeration.

Most promising research options for geoengineering would be accelerated rock
weathering (ARW - which may also be thought of as ex-situ geochemical CCS)
and various means of enhancing reflectivity such as cloud-whitening by
saline micro-particles, and possibly by creating reflective stratospheric
aerosols. This latter option is promoted with some enthusiasm but we must be
mindful of dangers of ozone depletion.

ARW has the great advantage of having generally beneficial side-effects,
such as reducing soil and ocean acidity; a rapid 'payback' of relatively low
upfront carbon costs; and low cost.

Oliver.
Kyoto2.