XERTEFORTEACHERS  September 2010

XERTEFORTEACHERS September 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Feedback from Xerte OT hands-on session at U of Bath

Ron Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>

A list to facilitate and support teachers using Xerte Online Toolkits <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Sep 2010 13:55:31 +0100

text/plain

Glad the session went well too - in my experience of running Xerte training
sessions it's easy to engage the group because of how great the tools are.
The challenge is to the support all the individual questions and ideas that
inevitably ensue - but I guess that's also a positive and I was discussing
this with a colleague this morning - the built in ease of use, interactivity
and accessibility and collaborative features means it's much quicker to get
to a point when what is being discussed is pedagogy and effective practice
rather than the tools themselves. That's partly what we established this
particular mailing list for to discuss the teaching and learning side of
Xerte and to share examples and support the non-technical community.

Julian has obviously responded to the flickr question but what I would add
is that similar problems exist with any searching especially youtube so
where you need to be more certain of the results try using more unique terms
and obviously where it's content you're uploading yourselves just agree a
unique tag in advance. e.g. on youtube a search for xerte brings up lots of
xerte specific videos but does also bring up one or two undesirable clips or
at least irrelevant to the search term. With the xerte screencasts I've been
uploading I tagged with xerte and qadxerte and the latter is obviously more
unique and only results in my clips - at the moment! ;-)

It is a pain that Flash doesn't run on iOS devices especially the iPad but I
think it's true to say there are lot's of things which don't run quite the
same on the iPad and there are of course lot's of tablet devices on the
horizon which are likely to run Xerte content extremely well via Flash 10.1.
That said as Julian mentioned there are some things which won't quite work
at the moment and more importantly even if the LO's are technically
compatible usability and readability may not be practical via the standard
template given that it's optimised for 800 x 600 or above. However the power
of Xerte is that it is open source and can be extended so templates
optimised for smaller screens or even an alternative non-flash player are
possible. We've discussed this previously and hopefully at some point the
resources and opportunity will become available to target different mobile
platforms and devices. I had a dabble a few weeks ago with a version of the
main toolkits template optimised for a HTC Hero I upgraded with 2.2. and
Flash 10.1. Haven't touched it since but I put an LO online for testing with
just the image and sound page and quiz page modified for the smaller screen
and also some buttons removed. If you have an android device with Flash
Player 10.1 I'd be interested to hear how this works
http://mitchellmedia.co.uk/xerte/hero/

Final point - with LO's set to full screen or fill window they work very
well on the myriad of netbooks and UMPC's etc - at least those with Flash
player!

HTH
Ron