Help for UKEIG-INTRANETS-FORUM Archives

UKEIG-INTRANETS-FORUM Archives

UKEIG-INTRANETS-FORUM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

UKEIG-INTRANETS-FORUM Home

UKEIG-INTRANETS-FORUM  September 2010

UKEIG-INTRANETS-FORUM September 2010

Data and information governance - Management of users' accounts

Brunella Longo <[log in to unmask]>

Brunella Longo <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Sep 2010 14:28:37 +0100

Dear colleagues

as a member of the University College and Research Group (London Branch) Committee, I am helping in managing the group mailing list. I am glad to have the opportunity to learn  more about policies and practices in data and information governance through the JISCmail server.

Here are some initial very basic findings that it can be useful to share with the UKeIG Intranets Forum members as well: users'  records and email accounts may be easily mismanaged also via intranets platforms, often without nobody being really responsible or not even aware of this.

On the grounds of a concrete personal need, I decided to investigate how the user can responsibly manage his/her accounts: creating, updating and obviously deleting entries in the system database.

As I was not able to find any instruction about this problem by myself, I contacted the JISCmail Helpline.

Shortly, it seems that the system does not allow the user to delete old accounts. You have to ask the Helpline to do this on your behalf.

Please note in the following thread of my conversation with JISCmail Helpline, where I have anonymised some data, that the person employed at the Helpline seemed not aware of the problem (no understanding of basic principle of client / server architecture, basic requirement of record management and role of cookies in managing data related to authentication processes).

The existence of users' accounts on a system without any legitimate activity associated with them represents a potential security hazard (somebody may impersonate you for the time needed to log into the system). This warning should be clearly stated in my opinion.

I would be pleased to know what do you think about the issue and if there is any example  / concrete case of information policy in any context that have already addressed it.

Regards

Brunella Longo