Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Our e-seminar; absenteeism

John Oversby <[log in to unmask]>

Teacher researchers' list for the mentoring and coaching Special Interest Group <[log in to unmask]>, John Oversby <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:39:12 +0100

text/plain

Dear all

On my teacher-researcher web site, at http://palava.wikispaces.com/Policy,
I have written a page on research that may give us an insight on policy
announcements made by our coalition government. One of these is the effect
of school building and I quote below:

School buildings and learning Newcastle Research Centre for Learning
literature review "There is clear evidence that extremes of environmental
elements (for example, poor ventilation or excessive noise) have negative
effects on students and teachers and that improving these elements has
significant benefits. However, once school environments come up to minimum
standards, the evidence of effect is less clear-cut. Our evaluation
suggests that the nature of the improvements made in schools may have less
to do with the specific element chosen for change than with how the process
of change is managed. There appears to be a strong link between effective
engagement with staff, students and other users of school buildings and the
success of environmental change in having an impact on behaviour,
well-being or attainment. The ownership of innovation, in contrast to the
externally imposed solution, appears to tap directly into motivational
aspects which are key factors in maximising the impact of change. Changing
the environment is 'worth doing' if it is done as a design process."

So, the evidence is that there is a minimum standard to aim for, but above
that, further improvement in learning is uncertain. However, the research
does suggest that ownership of the design process can make a large
difference. Involving the teachers does help in improving effective
teaching, providing these teachers stay to work in the new environment, and
involving the learners may well generate more commitment to learning in the
environment they have helped to design, whether it be a new-build or a
refurbishment. The message seems to be, engage the teachers and learners
(and community) in all aspects, whether it is the learning space, or the
day to day lessons, and this improves commitment to attend, which is the
opposite of absenteeism! Focusing on absenteeism is the negative side of
focusing on commitment to attend.

Best wishes

John

--