Re: pain piss off....

Patrick McManus <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc: poetry and poetics

Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:11:45 +0100

Hi Nieuwland this seems like a snap -hope day cheers up Patrick

I guess I,
in turn, am
just allowing
my unusually
crappy morning
to break me out
of my usual list
-lurking self.

For NJ

-----Original Message-----
From: Poetryetc: poetry and poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of nieuwland jeroen
Sent: 14 September 2010 10:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: pain piss off....

 I do agree that all kinds of factors come into play when writing, including

one's physical state and environment. Pierre Joris also talks about this in
Nomad Poetics, and I was recently getting into Timothy Morton's Ecological
approach to literature, where he is also constantly stressing the ways a
poem
takes up space and influences and is influenced by its environment. (He has
great short lecture about his concept of Mesh to describe the
interconnectedness
of things: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-mWCPa9y3c  ).

I guess I just find it curious that if your physical condition is an
integral
part of your poetics, why you don't then, for example, elaborate more on the

connection between those two - so how your chronic fatigue syndrome affects
your
poetics, and how your poetics affect your chronic fatigue syndrome. Or maybe
the
very fact of sharing these things is part of your poetics?

But all this is making it sound like I fundamentally have a problem with it
and
I really do not. By all means please keep on keeping on as you were. Last
thing
I would want is to sound normative/judgemental in any way.  I guess I, in
turn,
am just allowing my unusually crappy morning to break me out of my usual
list-lurking self.

All good things,
Jeroen