Help for COMP-FORTRAN-90 Archives

COMP-FORTRAN-90 Archives

COMP-FORTRAN-90@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

COMP-FORTRAN-90 Home

COMP-FORTRAN-90  August 2010

COMP-FORTRAN-90 August 2010

Re: Fortran Should Grow Not Go Into Maintenance (Was: Reusing an interface for procedure-type arguments)

Dan Nagle <[log in to unmask]>

Fortran 90 List <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Aug 2010 15:52:57 -0400

Hello,

On Aug 6, 2010, at 3:08 PM, Vivek Rao wrote:

> An important counterexample to the conjecture that programming languages must continually evolve or die is C. C is very much alive, and Wikipiedia says
>
> "C89 is supported by current C compilers, and most C code being written nowadays is based on it"

The most recent C standard is C99.  Work towards C1x is underway,
with one major feature being parallelism.

> Sure, people can discuss Fortran standards beyond F2008, but it is highly premature to make decisions about such a standard when most of the Fortran community is still using Fortran 95 or earlier versions of the language.

Many applications programmers must use a portable subset due
to their variety of customers.  The choice of vendors not
to stay current doesn't help the language at all.

There are precious few complete C++98 implementations.
There are no complete C++03 implementations (to my knowledge).
Yet, work towards C++0x (where x is now 9++) continues.

At the risk of mixing metaphors, those who choose to drag anchor
should not set the pace.

--
Cheers!

Dan Nagle