contacts in Ukraine?

Dominique Moran <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Aug 2010 20:11:49 +0100

Dear BASEES members

Below is a request for information from a postgraduate student at Birmingham (Geography/CREES). I'd be grateful for your time in assisting him. Please direct any responses either to me, or to Thom directly - [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

With many thanks

Dominique Moran

*****************

I am a first year CEELBAS (ESRC) funded doctoral researcher at the University of Birmingham. I am researching the human geography of the Chernobyl disaster in Ukraine.  Many people were encouraged or forced to evacuate contaminated territories in the years following the disaster, yet some have decided to return. I am specifically interested in the social impacts and the implications of the disaster for those who live in (or were forced to leave) contaminated territory, and the resulting state-society dynamic.

I am in need of guidance in gaining access to contacts in Ukraine who could help me in this research  specifically contacts on the ground in Slavutych, Chernigov, Korosten and Kyiv. Also any recommendations of interpreters in northern Ukraine, in the Oblasts of Zhytomyr, Kyiv and Chernihiv?

I will use an ethnographic methodology to contrast the everyday-life experience of people living with Chernobyl, with the discourse of regional, state level and international actors.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

With thanks, Thom Davies

Dr Dominique Moran
Lecturer in the Geographies of Transitional Economies
School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences
University of Birmingham
B15 2TT

0121 414 8013

Senior Postgraduate Tutor
Postgraduate Tutor for Society, Economy and Environment
Associate Member, Centre for Russian and East European Studies