ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC Home

ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC  August 2010

ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC August 2010

Re: Introduction

Nadia Linder <[log in to unmask]>

Society for The Academic Study of Magic <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:39:56 +0200

Hey there Jake,

thanks for the welcome. It's nice to hear that my interests aren't just considered weird outside of Assyriology :)
I've been interested in Nergal since I started studying and stumbled across some articles discussing him; I can point you to the relevant Sumerological articles if you want (some should be available on jstor). These mostly deal with the issue of his name, though, and I imagine the content to be a bit ...tedious. One book deals with the deity is von Weiher 1971, 'Der babylonische Gott Nergal' (AOAT Beih. 11), but it's rather out of date and only deals with late conceptions. We also (unfortunately) don't have that many texts dealing with him, or hymns/prayers dedicated to him (a common enough occurence with Netherworld entities in the ANE). Katz 2003, 'The Image of the Netherworld in Sumerian Sources' has a short entry on him, as well as the Reallexikon der Assyriologie.

But in order not to turn this posting into a literature list, I'd say just drop me a line if you're interested in any particulars. :)

- Nadia

-------- Original-Nachricht --------