Help for MECCSA-WMSN Archives

MECCSA-WMSN Archives

MECCSA-WMSN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MECCSA-WMSN Home

MECCSA-WMSN  July 2010

MECCSA-WMSN July 2010

NEW BOOK: Reading Little Britain: Comedy Matters on Contemporary Television edited by Sharon Lockyer

"Sharon Lockyer (Staff)" <[log in to unmask]>

Sharon Lockyer (Staff)

Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:26:36 +0100

* NEW BOOK *         * NEW BOOK *         * NEW BOOK *         * NEW BOOK *

READING LITTLE BRITAIN: Comedy Matters on Contemporary Television

Edited by Sharon Lockyer (I.B.Tauris, 2010)

Little Britain was an instant hit when it first appeared on British television in 2003. Written and performed by Matt Lucas and David Walliams, this satirical character-based sketch show, which grew out of a radio comedy series, introduced audiences to an assortment of contemporary characters from Dafydd 'I'm the only gay in the village' through to Thai mail-order bride Ting Tong Macadangdang. It moved from cult-comedy status to become a mainstream award-winning show and from a national to an international television comedy phenomenon. Although hugely popular, Little Britain has been criticised for pushing the boundaries of taste too far, for being grotesquely politically incorrect, and for engaging in the 'humour of humiliation'.

This timely and comprehensive book brings together for the first time critically engaging perspectives on Little Britain. It explores the appeal of Little Britain and dissects the controversies caused by the programme. Topics covered by leading writers include comedy and representations of gender, sexuality, race, disability, and social class; sketch-show conventions; comedy crossover from television to theatre; comedy catchphrases; national and international audience responses; and more. Reading Little Britain is a must-read book for scholars, students and fans.

Sharon Lockyer is a Lecturer in Sociology and Communications at Brunel University. She researches in the areas of the sociology of mediated culture and critical humour studies. She is co-editor (with Michael Pickering) of Beyond a Joke: The Limits of Humour (Palgrave, 2005, 2009).

Contents

Character List

Introduction: Britain, Britain, Little Britain ... (Sharon Lockyer)

PART 1: Narrative, Genre and Comedic Techniques

1) Analysing Little Britain as a Sketch Show (Ian Mowatt)

2) Little Britain Live (Stephen Lacey)

3) 'Yeah but no but yeah': A Linguistic Perspective on the Humour of Little Britain (Julia Snell)

PART 2: Little Britain and Identity

4) How Little Britain does 'Race' (Sarita Malik)

5) Chavs and Chav-nots: Social Class in Little Britain (Sharon Lockyer)

6) Mischief and Monstrosity': Little Britain and Disability (Margaret Montgomerie)

7) 'The Only Feminist Critic in the Village?: Figuring Gender and Sexuality in Little Britain (Deborah Finding)

PART 3: Little Britain and Inter/national Audiences

8) 'I'm anti-Little Britain, and I'm worried I might start laughing': Audience Responses to Little Britain (Brett Mills)

9) Little Britain: An American Perspective (Arthur Asa Berger)

10) 'In English please!' Lost in Translation: Little Britain and Italian Audiences (Delia Chiaro)

Postscript: Little Britain USA (Kim Akass)

Film, TV and Radio Guide

Bibliography

I.B.Tauris are offering 30% off the price of Reading Little Britain (ISBN: 978184511 939). To order copies at the special price of 9.09  (RRP 12.99), please place your order by post, email, fax, phone or online by quoting the code 2HY

To: I.B.Tauris Publishers, Macmillan Distribution (MDL), Customer Services

Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke, RG21 6XS

Direct Sales Line: +44 (0)1256 302699 Fax: +44 (0)1256 812521

or order your copies online at www.ibtauris.com/promotions <https://cas.brunel.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.ibtauris.com/promotions>

Please make your cheques payable to Macmillan Distribution

For postage in the UK please add: 2.95 for the first book, 0.75 for each extra book.

Best wishes,

Sharon

Dr Sharon Lockyer
Lecturer in Sociology and Communications
School of Social Sciences
Brunel University
Uxbridge
Middlesex