Re: Looking for a higher ed web expert!

Rebecca Lee <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:35:34 +0100

Hi Mike, Pete and all

I echo Pete's comments regarding the need to know whether you'd want to cover technical/non-technical aspects.

I would be very interested in any ALS as described, particularly if it covered web content/editorial/ownership/navigation issues that we all face with our large websites! Some sharing of good practice and/or common problems would be very welcome.

Best wishes
Becky

Rebecca Lee
Web Editor
University of Plymouth

Follow the University of Plymouth
on the web: www.plymouth.ac.uk
on Twitter: www.twitter.com/uniofplym
on Facebook: www.facebook.com/theuniversityofplymouth

Tel: +44 (0)1752 588006
Email: [log in to unmask]
Staff page: www.plymouth.ac.uk/staff/rllee
Blog (UoP staff only): My blog
Post: Marketing & Communications, University of Plymouth, Drake Circus, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8AA

-----Original Message-----
From: Managing institutional Web services [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pete Walker
Sent: 20 July 2010 15:25
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Looking for a higher ed web expert!

Hi Mike
I might be interested in this - depends what aspect of the Web
(technical/non-technical) you want to cover.

Another extension of this idea is to form Action Learning Sets on
web-related matters. I don't know whether you've come across ALS? Perhaps
best described as a structured approach to problem sharing & solving. If we
had 5 to 6 people we could meet somewhere centrally for a day?

Pete

--On 20 July 2010 15:15 +0100 Michael Nolan <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Afternoon all,
>
> One thing Paul Boag suggested in his IWMW plenary was the idea of
> getting in an external design agency not when you need to do a big
> redesign but on an ongoing basis to suggest improvements to your
> website.  Of course, Headscape would be able to offer such a service but
> Paul was very pragmatic and said that an alternative would be to be
> "experts" for each other.
>
> I'm interested in doing exactly that so I'm looking for someone to come
> to Edge Hill and do some free consultancy!  In return they'll get as
> much coffee as they can drink, a sandwich from the SCR and – if they
> want – I'll return the favour and "consult" for their HEI.  I've
> written a blog post about it so have a look for more details (and
> conditions!)
>
> http://j.mp/d5XZTc
>
> Looking forward to hearing back from some people!
>
> Mike Nolan
> Head of Web Services
> Edge Hill University
> http://twitter.com/MikeNolan
> http://blogs.edgehill.ac.uk/webservices/
>

> The Sunday Times '75 Best Places To Work in The Public Sector 2010'

> This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for
> the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  Any views or
> opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
> represent those of Edge Hill University or associated companies.  If you
> are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender as soon as
> possible and delete it and all copies of it.  You must not, directly or
> indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this
> message if you are not the intended recipient.
>
> The message content of in-coming emails is automatically scanned to
> identify Spam and viruses otherwise Edge Hill University do not actively
> monitor content.  However, sometimes it will be necessary for Edge Hill
> University to access business communications during staff absence.
>
> Edge Hill University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any
> attachments are virus free.  However, it is the responsibility of the
> recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is
> accepted by Edge Hill University for any loss or damage arising in any
> way from its use.

Pete Walker, Assistant Director
Institute for Learning and Research Technology (ILRT)
University of Bristol
8-10 Berkeley Square, Bristol, BS8 1HH
Web: www.ilrt.bristol.ac.uk
Tel: 0117 331 4395