Re: UV microscope

Ho Leung Ng <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Jun 2010 17:32:56 -0700

I used a Korima a few times and didn't like it. Poor image quality and
you have to worry about nuking your crystals with UV. However, I
haven't tried any other UV microscopes to compare. For most purposes
outside of high throughput imaging, I'd rather just shoot the mystery
crystals with xrays.

You may want to read Gill, "Evaluating the efficacy of tryptophan
fluorescence and absorbance as a selection tool for identifying
protein crystals", Acta Cryst F 66:364, which compares several
microscopes.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20208182

ho

Hi there.

I don't know how much it costs, but I've used a Korima
PRS-1000<http://www.korimainc.com/prs1000.html> serval
times, and it appears to be fairly good. Although the image quality isn't
great and there is still a bit of a learning curve for identifying small
crystals and/or crystals buried in precipitate, I've found this microscope
to be a very valuable tool.

-Joel

Joel M. Guenther
PhD Candidate, Department of Chemistry