BME Students Academic Misconduct

Ricky Chotai <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Jun 2010 14:50:29 +0100

Dear All,

I wanted to ask some advice and to see if any work unions have done any successful lobbying/ campaigning issue of BME students and plagiarism?

Here at Salford we are seeing worrying levels of BME (mostly international) students being found guilty of academic misconduct the levels are in the 70% to 80%.

The background of why this happens we know is that they just come from countries that have very different learning styles to those here in the UK.

Some of the issues we will be tackling is the University use of agencies and the processes they use for recruitment, however I wanted to know if any unions asked for more support for these students academically?

If at your union, you have seen seen some changes could you please let me know what they are?

If you could please reply off list to [log in to unmask] and if anyone else wants this information as well I will be happy to forward it on.

Thanks
Ricky

Ricky Chotai | Vice President Health and Social Care
University of Salford Students' Union | University House | Salford | M5 4WT
Tel: 0161 351 5424 | Mobile: 07540222310 | Fax: 0161 351 5428
Web: www.salfordstudents.com | Twitter: www.twitter.com/SalfordVPHSC
MSN / Email: [log in to unmask]
Enhancing Students' Lives
P Please, consider your environmental responsibility.
Before printing this e-mail ask yourself: "Do I need a hard copy?"
This message is confidential and contains information which may be legally privileged. It is intended for the stated addressee(s) only. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended addressee, any disclosure, copying or storage of the contents of this email,or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it, is unauthorised and is unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please delete the original and inform the sender immediately.