LIB-RFID-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIB-RFID-UK Home

LIB-RFID-UK  June 2010

LIB-RFID-UK June 2010

Re: PINs on self-service

"Benton, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion List for RFID in Libraries <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 22 Jun 2010 09:16:02 +0100

So far we haven't had anyone deny that they borrowed books, we don't allow DVDs and CDs to be borrowed via self service.  However, there is no easy way of telling from a borrower record, if an item was borrowed via self service.  Our main problem has been children borrowing adult books and incurring fines, we used to require a password to allow this. That was fine for staff at the desk, but it couldn't be done on self service and it stopped such items being renewed online, so it was decided that a password would no longer be required.

Janet Benton
Technical Assistant Libraries
07837 270041