Help for ECON-NETWORK Archives

ECON-NETWORK Archives

ECON-NETWORK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ECON-NETWORK Home

ECON-NETWORK  June 2010

ECON-NETWORK June 2010

Economics UPDATE:Teaching Awards - Final Reminder

Bhagesh Sachania <[log in to unmask]>

Bhagesh Sachania <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:08:25 +0100

Economics UPDATE: Teaching Awards - Final Reminder
The monthly Economics Network Email Newsletter

Welcome to UPDATE the Economics Network Email Newsletter.  This newsletter is intended to inform Economics Network subscribers about our activities and to provide other information that may be of interest.

===============
Noticeboard
===============

Learning And Teaching Awards – Final Reminder:
We are pleased to invite nominations from the economics community for our annual Learning and Teaching Awards. Scheme. The Awards are open to UK-based academics who have demonstrated excellent commitment, enthusiasm and effectiveness in their teaching practices.

There are three main categories: Outstanding Teaching, eLearning and Student Nominated. Every year the awards attract a wide range of entries and we are looking forward to another successful year. Each of the categories highlights a key area in the teaching of Economics.

The deadline for nominations is Wednesday 30th June 2010 and the winner of each category will receive £250.

Additional information, including submission guidelines and online nomination forms are available at:
http://www.economicsnetwork.ac.uk/awards/

Studying Economics – Free Bookmarks:
'StudyingEconomics' is a related Economics Network website that offers advice, help and information on various aspects of studying economics:
http://www.studyingeconomics.ac.uk/

We have produced a bookmark that publicises the Studying Economics website key resources and it would be a useful addition to first year undergraduate induction packs.  The bookmarks are available to departments at no extra cost. If you would like to receive a batch please email Ryan Hoare (Email: [log in to unmask]) stating how many you would like and who they should be sent to.

Forthcoming Events:

National Workshop: eLearning Symposium
Bristol, Thursday 9 September
This event will present a range of the latest technologies suitable for supporting economics teaching and research. There will be plenty of hands-on opportunities to try out technologies as well as workshop sessions including case studies and demonstrations.
http://www.economicsnetwork.ac.uk/events/elearning

Residential Workshop for New Economics Lecturers
Bristol, Friday 15 and Saturday 16 October
After the success of last years’ New Lecturers workshop we will again be running a residential two-day workshop here in Bristol specifically designed to meet the needs of new and aspiring lecturers of economics.

The main aim is to discuss and evaluate what makes effective teaching of economics, including lectures; seminars and small-group teaching; assessment and feedback; e-learning; module/unit design; classroom experiments and games. There will also be time at the end of the workshop to reflect on key issues and to plan next steps. Further details are available at:
http://www.economicsnetwork.ac.uk/events/newlecs

================
What's New
================

Association Of European Economics Education (The AEEE) Conference
25th and 28th August, 2010
This 18th European Economics Education Course and Conference is an international meeting of teachers, teacher trainers, inspectors and researchers with a professional interest in all aspects of Economics and Business Education in Europe and worldwide. Under the broad theme "Contemporary Challenges for Economics and Business Education" the conference seeks to draw together the latest thinking and developments on curricula, assessment, pedagogy and research.

The ethos of the conferences is to promote discussion and the exchange of ideas and good practice through talks and interactive workshops. There will be a number of keynote lectures on "Economics After the Global Crisis", and discussion of what and how we should be teaching about such important issues. Further details are available at:
http://www.economicseducation.eu/

Use Of Technology In Teaching And Learning
A project funded by the Higher Education Academy is investigating evidence-based practice in the use of technology in teaching and learning in higher education.  We are particularly interested in hearing from practitioners about the kinds of evidence they use, or would find useful, when using technology to supporting teaching and learning.

We would really like to hear about your views. Could you spare a few moments to complete the short online survey at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZZPGKGY

The team is also interested in supporting a network where practitioners can talk about their practice and issues in relation to supporting learning and teaching with technology.  If you are interested, please go to http://cloudworks.ac.uk/cloudscape/view/2050 where you can follow and contribute to discussions.

If you would like any further information please contact Linda Price, Senior Lecturer,  Open University
(Email: [log in to unmask])

Virtual Training Suite Tutorials
30 new Internet tutorials for university students have just been released as part of the Virtual Training Suite:
http://www.vts.intute.ac.uk/

The tutorials teach Internet research skills for degree subjects, and are ideal for students looking for advice and guidance on using the Web for their studies.

The economics tutorial can be found at:
http://www.vts.intute.ac.uk/tutorial/economics/

CONTACT US
If you have any suggestions, feedback or comments please contact:
Bhagesh Sachania, Information Manager, Economics Network