CRISIS-FORUM  June 2010

CRISIS-FORUM June 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: I'm talking here about us needing to find some guts ... RE: [localsustuk] News Items from the USA re electric vehicles and solar pv plus Notes

Chris Shaw <[log in to unmask]>

Chris Shaw <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:15:17 +0100

text/plain

I agree with all that you say Alistair bar the choices available to the
individual. In some areas I think the choices are easier to make than
others. I believe, in one sense, it is very easy to refuse to fly. And a
refusal to fly would send a very strong message to political leaders. It
is not very easy to not drive because post war planning decisions have
all been based on the assumption that people will drive. Consequently
the places we need to get to are a long way apart. However, I have heard
so much nonsense from middle class 20 something campaigners saying oh,
take the train to Europe for your holiday this year, or use the bus
instead of the car. How is that meant to resonate with working class
families, cash and time strapped, suffering the privations of capitlaism
and being made to feel bad about enjoying the benefits? Or the call to
save the world by changing to low energy light bulbs that are just crap.
That will put people off the green agenda for years.

Also, some consumption choices are positional, ie they serve social and
symbolic needs rather than physical ones. I think that adds a barrier to
voluntary changes in patterns of consumption.

It has to be a debate about a better, because more equal, life for
everyone, rather than assuming poorly designed or impractical
alternatives to allow for the continuation of life in a sub two degrees
of warming capitalist system is any sense either a) progressive or b)
going to have any traction for the vast majority of people. The
inability of top-down discourses to advance this agenda means working in
a political concious fashion from the bottom up.

On 18/06/2010 10:51, Alastair McIntosh wrote:
> [...]
> resultant communiqués. Here is an example of a paragraph that I recently
> tried to get included into a document and which was watered down:
>
> "We recognise that to seek to substitute current energy requirements with
> renewables is only one half of the necessary equation. It is a supply-side
> measure. To be effective, the drivers of climate change must also be tacked
> from the demand side. This is because continued growth of energy demand is
> impossible to reconcile with the lower hanging fruits of renewables
> potential. However, to raise such demand side questions is challenging to an
> economics of unmitigated growth that looks only to the supply side. There
> are no easy answers as to how these tensions might be reconciled, but they
> ought at least be placed on the table for discussion. A demand-side approach
> would entail energy obviation measures on the one hand (such as are already
> being pioneered by industry), and the discouragement of  profligate
> consumerism on the other. Here "consumerism" might be defined as consumption
> in excess of what is necessary for dignified human sufficiency, including
> the sharing of and enjoyment of abundance within equitable constraints of
> planetary carrying capacity."
>
> I do not blame my colleagues for the watering down. They are only trying to
> reconcile the ideal with the possible, and this is the way that consensus
> trance reality works - we all get pulled into magnetic alignment with where
> real power lies. But what is doubly difficult with climate change is that
> such "real power" in my view cannot be pinned only on the corporate chiefs,
> or the politicians. It comes, above all, from we, the people; in other words
> (and as I've sought to show in "Hell and High Water"), it is where the human
> condition is at.
>
> This is what makes the work of people like Tom Crompton and Tim Jackson
> important. They are tackling the psychological roots. I would say we have to
> go even further and tackle the spiritual roots of consumer addiction, and
> also, have the courage to place population policy back on the table (not
> compulsory sterilisation, but women's rights etc.).
>
> Did anybody watch Tim Hayward of BP being grilled by Congress last night on
> the BBC web? He came over as a broken man; a man being blamed for the
> failure of a virtually autonomous business unit. That is how big industry
> works these days. But what drives such behaviour? Well, when was the last
> time that you filled up a tank of petrol, and chose the cheapest filling
> station? If we want to know the root of our problems, we have to shift the
> framing of the debate, and not only look outwith - that is important too -
> but also look within, and start to have the guts to tackle our
> psychospiritual condition. As long as we believe there's no such thing as
> such inner life, we'll remain blind to the causes of the problems and
> contributors to them in the scattering effect of our hubris.

>>> zEyNzgwBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTI3NjgxMDQ3Nw--?act=reply&mes
>>> sageNum=12780>
>>> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/localsustuk/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbWxmcHFw
>>> BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExMTE2NjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MjM5NjM0BHNlYwNmd
>>> HIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTI3NjgxMDQ3Nw-->
>>>
>>> Messages in this topic
>>> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/localsustuk/message/12780;_ylc=X3oDMTM
>>> 2N3Q1OTM5BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExMTE2NjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MjM5NjM0
>>> BG1zZ0lkAzEyNzgwBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTI3NjgxMDQ3NwR0cGNJZ
>>> AMxMjc4MA-->
>>> (1)
>>> Recent Activity:
>>>
>>> Visit Your Group
>>> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/localsustuk;_ylc=X3oDMTJlazcyOGVxBF9TA
>>> zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExMTE2NjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MjM5NjM0BHNlYwN2dGwEc2
>>> xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTI3NjgxMDQ3Nw-->
>>>
>>> Group Moderator: [log in to unmask]
>>>
>>> * To subscribe, send a message to [log in to unmask]
>>> or go the this e-group's home page at
>>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/localsustuk/

>>> * To contact the moderator of this group, send email to
>>>
>>> * To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>> MARKETPLACE
>>>
>>> Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on
>>> - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.
>>> <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15ofp94am/M=493064.13983314.14041046.132
>>> 98430/D=groups/S=1705239634:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1276817678/L=2161b73a-7a
>>> 58-11df-a5e9-c3184734e4bf/B=Vt6zAWKJiSE-/J=1276810478006308/K=kLvOUV3
>>> wnkYcjL_P.bOoEQ/A=6060255/R=0/SIG=1194m4keh/*http://us.toolbar.yahoo.
>>> com/?.cpdl=grpj>

>>> ---
>>>
>>> Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog&   Cat Answers
>>> Center.
>>> <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15opp10b1/M=493064.13814537.14041040.108
>>> 35568/D=groups/S=1705239634:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1276817678/L=2161b73a-7a
>>> 58-11df-a5e9-c3184734e4bf/B=V96zAWKJiSE-/J=1276810478006308/K=kLvOUV3
>>> wnkYcjL_P.bOoEQ/A=6078812/R=0/SIG=114ae4ln1/*http://dogandcatanswers.
>>> yahoo.com/>

>>> ---
>>>
>>> Get real-time World Cup coverage on the Yahoo! Toolbar. Download now
>>> to win a signed team jersey!
>>> <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15o4n1oqm/M=493064.14012770.13963757.132
>>> 98430/D=groups/S=1705239634:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1276817678/L=2161b73a-7a
>>> 58-11df-a5e9-c3184734e4bf/B=WN6zAWKJiSE-/J=1276810478006308/K=kLvOUV3
>>> wnkYcjL_P.bOoEQ/A=6093983/R=0/*http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTFna
>>> W51Y3EyBHRtX2RtZWNoA1RleHQgTGluawR0bV9sbmsDVTExMjc3MDUEdG1fbmV0A1lhaG
>>> 9vIQ--/SIG=1219e5kan/**http%3A//toolbar.yahoo.com/tour%3Ftab=wc%26.in