Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  May 2010

PHD-DESIGN May 2010

Re: Validation of practice: who or what is a practitioner?

Mark Evans <[log in to unmask]>

Mark Evans <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 May 2010 22:29:13 +0100

Hi Terry/Ken

When I made reference to “visually creative design practice” I was being narrow I am afraid. I was focusing my concerns on, dare I say it, the ‘traditional’ form-giving fields that have a presence in design schools, professions and publications; such as fashion, silversmith and jewellery, textiles, ceramics, furniture, interior, graphic, industrial/product, architecture and the various derivatives that I am sure were identified in taxonomy (sorry Ken, I could not access the site). The skills and knowledge of practitioners in these fields can be made explicit through a snapshot of past activity with a portfolio, which I think would be a useful inclusion in a thesis to help validate fitness to practice.

As a point of clarification, I was only referring to researchers that undertake creative practice as part of their PhD. I do not have an issue with anyone investigating the practice of others. It is researchers doing the designing that I find problematic.

I am hoping that the PhD Design community can help me out here because I have already used my Blade Runner quote twice and hope to avoid seeing more questionable (design) things in future theses.

And Ken, I look forward to seeing your next sci-fi epic. But unless the forum can help, mine will probably be ‘I Viva’d a Monster from Outer Space’.