Help for NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Home

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  May 2010

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING May 2010

Re: politics, ethics, aesthetics and distributed forms

Maria Chatzichristodoulou <[log in to unmask]>

Maria Chatzichristodoulou <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 May 2010 16:36:15 +0100

Dear Tom, Kate, All

Tom -thank you for the info on the School of Political Arts. To me this sounds like a fascinating experiment and I am very interested to follow its developments. Though, as you say, interdisciplinarity and team-work/collaborative practice is popular PR lingo these days, I find that there still is a serious lack of support and funding for such practices, as well as a lack of critical inquiry surrounding such practices in both artistic and educational contexts.

In our School (of Arts and New Media, University of Hull) we operate under 4 separate subject group areas, offering traditional disciplinary degrees (e.g. in digital media, theatre & performance etc.) that though situated within an interdisciplinary context, are not interdisciplinary per se (we do also offer other, interdisciplinary programs). Despite the favourable context, which one would anticipate might encourage and enhance exchange, interdisciplinary collaboration etc., students of disciplinary programs appear protective of their disciplines and often unwilling to engage in inter- (as opposed to multi-) disciplinary practice and thinking. Having worked towards an interdisciplinary research degree myself (in Art and Computational Technologies together with Drama and Theatre), I was concerned about my employability prospects and the risk of falling between the gaps (luckily this didn't happen..). With all this in mind, I find the School of Political Arts' approach very exciting indeed.

Having said all that, I was intrigued by Kate's 'lukewarm' response to the aims of the School, and her description of her position as being "as much a part of the pedagogical turn as I am a critic of it." Kate, though you admit to being part of the 'pedagogical turn' you regret the fact that, possibly, "there is no escape, as such, from the pedagogical turn - so embedded is it in the democratising and automating processes of contemporary knowledge production..."

Kate, I would be very interested to hear more about why it is that you consider this turn to be regrettable?

Finally -Verina and Charlotte, you made a couple of gestures towards the performativity of curation/ curation as performance etc. -but as this thread was not taken up by others, and as the discussion seems to be covering quite a vast area already, I might leave this thread to rest for now -unless you would like me to respond.

All best wishes
Maria X

--
Maria Chatzichristodoulou [aka Maria X]