Help for NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Home

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  May 2010

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING May 2010

Middlesex Philosophy Dept takes it to a new level...

Charlotte Frost <[log in to unmask]>

Charlotte Frost <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 8 May 2010 10:35:40 +0100

And now I’m sending this from e-flux which also seems rather relevant (and
obviously links to Jon’s post about Middlesex Uni’s apparently doomed
Philosophy Department...)

Transversal Space
7 - 9 May 2010

Middlesex University
The Burroughs
London NW4 4BT
UK

www.savemdxphil.com
www.web.mdx.ac.uk/crmep
Share this announcement on:  Facebook | Delicious | Twitter

failure of the Dean to attend a meeting that he set up with students to
explain this abrupt, unjustified and unacceptable decision, the students
have occupied Mansion House on Trent Park campus.

We now announce the opening of an experimental and communal space for
educational presentations and conversations at the interface between
philosophy, theory, activism and art. Transversal Space is an alternative
educational experience in which the boundaries between disciplines and the
relations between students and teachers are blurred. Relationships and ideas
are explored in an open and collective way continuing the ethos of our
philosophy department and its series of events.

Please come and join us on the beautiful Trent Park campus. A free shuttle
bus will take you here from Oakwood station on the Picadilly line
(penultimate stop in Northern direction). Let us know if you have
suggestions for the program & join us at any point during the weekend. You
can contact us at [log in to unmask] or follow us on facebook.

A program of events for this weekend is now being set up, with updates every
hour.

LATEST UPDATE:
Saturday, 8 May 2010
3.00 p.m. – BAT (Anindya Bhattacharyya) – The History of Calculus
5.00 p.m. – Alex Callinicos, Professor of European Studies at King's College
London will be giving a talk.
6.30 p.m. – Presentations and Panel Workshop on the topic of VOTING: Alice
Moss (CRMEP), Timothy Secret (University of Essex) and Steve Gormley
(University of Essex).
10.30 p.m. – Film TBA

Sunday, 9 May 2010
Andrew McGettigan – Title and time TBD

If you want to help stop the closure of philosophy at Middlesex, there are
two simple actions you can do right away. The first is to sign the online
petition protesting the closure decision. We've had over 10,000 signatures
already!

The second is to write to people responsible for the decision to tell them
how you feel. Please send a brief email or letter to the following four
people. Feel free to extract some points from the petition text. And if
you're happy for your letter to be posted in part or full on our blog, then
BCC it to us at [log in to unmask]

The people to email are:
- Michael Driscoll, vice-chancellor of the university – [log in to unmask]
- Waqar Ahmad, deputy vice-chancellor, research and enterprise –
- Margaret House, deputy vice-chancellor, academic – [log in to unmask]
- Ed Esche, dean of the School of Arts & Education – [log in to unmask]

You can just copy and paste this list into your email program:
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];

The Save Middlesex Philosophy campaign has received hundreds of letters of
support from across the world opposing the closure of the department as
described here in The Guardian. We've published some of them here for you to
read.

Charlotte

Dr Charlotte Frost
Arts Writer/Academic