Re: What Is Mathematics For?

"Burn, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>

Burn, Robert

Fri, 21 May 2010 13:45:23 +0100

text/plain

The discussion has been interesting. I would like to offer 3 points.
1. I would expect both mathematicians AND lawyers to be practised in supposing "What if....?"!
2. Experience counts in maths perhaps even more than in other areas. Think what happens if you pick up a graduate text NOT in your area
(i) in maths (ii) in history.
3. I once sought out metaphors used to describe the doing of mathematics and easily found more than 50. No surprise that we dont find a one line answer to the question.

There is an opposite kind of question that might clarify some ideas: What harm can mathematics do?
Bob Burn
University Fellow, Exeter University
Sunnyside
Barrack Road
Exeter EX2 6AB
01392-430028
From: Post-calculus mathematics education [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of 英史 [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 20 May 2010 07:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: What Is Mathematics For?

A short argument about mathematical thinking

One of the reasons that mathematical thinking is a better training of critical thinking is:

      Mathematics is not so close to life compared to other  subjests and daily life experience would not help much when doing math thinking. That is to say that in math you have to really think and purely think to get the conclusion, not like in other subjests the conclusion might come from what you already knew or heard.

In these context, the usual advocate of math teaching that emphasizes on making things more practical and avoiding abstractness might not be so right as it seems to be.