ACB-IT  May 2010

ACB-IT May 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Pathology Content of the HealthCare2010 IT Conference

"Richard Jones [Pathology]" <[log in to unmask]>

IT working group of the Association of Clinical Biochemists <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 May 2010 17:04:37 +0100

text/plain

Dennis,
As 'one old-timer to another 'the story goes as follows (I'll write it up in full in my memoirs)

The DH did award £100k+VAT to Craig Webster and myself to get a pilot going. No money was spent in the end for a variety of reasons (my Trust would not accept the capital charges for the others that might have been involved and because of an admin error the money went via Kent and took about a year to track down).

But what did happen was that Craig Webster put in a brilliant piece of work and did a business model and business case to support the  idea. W held couple of workshops and a lot of people contributed schema's and ideas to produce a full report.

All of this is preserved on www.ychi.leeds.ac.uk/labtolab

This lay dormant for a year or 2 and then I was offered two final year project students from the School of Computing, Ewan was expert in Biztalk having spent a year out with Microsoft in the corporate world and Taz had worked on NPfIT spine HL7 messages with Accenture.

In 3 months they put together a prototype which our pathologists were invited to evaluate for the degree course. Once they had seen it they wanted to use there and then.

The next step was a small grant from a University Innovation Fund to Ewan and Taz's tutor, Owen Johnson, to set up a Proof of Concept project to get the system up to industrial standards. This is what has been done and is what is inside X-Lab.

The final piece of the jigsaw is the Partnership with THIS which makes this available via the NHS.

To me it's a repeat of the old approach to analyser and assay development. We both know the way that the ACB has been so good at working in partnership between the NHS labs, academic science and industry and there are many good examples around  if you think of the old analysers - AA1?, ACS 180 and chemi-luminescence etc. The difference is that this is software and systems not analysers, biochemistry and hardware.

So finally if it plays out I'd make a claim that it will be the highest returning DH Path Mod project ever - £0 input and £nM savings according to Craig's model. How about that for infinity financial leverage!

Rick