PSCI-COM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PSCI-COM Home

PSCI-COM  April 2010

PSCI-COM April 2010

Video News Releases

Mary <[log in to unmask]>

psci-com: on public engagement with science

Thu, 1 Apr 2010 11:27:13 +0200

I will soon begin working on the dissemination of the results of a big
international clinical trial with an important, simple health message.
The trial co-ordinators are thinking about producing a video news release to
ensure that the message gets out as widely as possible.

I have doubts about this on grounds of cost, and also because I think that
VNRs have a reputation for pushing a particular line without being
objective.   I wonder how much this influences their use by mainstream TV
stations.

It will be most important to get the message across in developing countries.
I would prefer to try to get someone like BBC World TV to cover it and
perhaps put something on You Tube, but I'm not sure whether the audience
reached would be the same, better, or worse as that which might be covered
by a VNR.

Does anyone have views on/experience of VNRs?

Thanks in advance
Mary

Mary Rice

send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]