Peter King <[log in to unmask]>

From: Local-History list

Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:10:13 +0100

a) No comment: when I did my research computers were still exotic.  Desktop PCs were a couple of decades away
b) If a description is precisely the same and the reserved rent is also the same, it is likely to be much the same property, but the possibility of less formal exchanges of selions within the common fields should not be ruled out.  The procedure with copyhold was probably that the old document was brought to the court and the steward copied from it, so that the descriptions are very stable over long periods.  This means that it is feasible to jump over periods where the records are missing.  However, it is desirable to deal with all the property in your manorial records and everything else you can find about the place together to yield the best results.  The diverse nature of the sources may mean that a database (unless with a wealth of free text fields) may prove style-cramping.

Happy hunting!

Peter King
49, Stourbridge Road,
Hagley,