Economics UPDATE: EVIDENCE OF IMPACT

Bhagesh Sachania <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 17:03:42 +0100

=======================================
Economics UPDATE: EVIDENCE OF IMPACT
The monthly Economics Network Email Newsletter
=======================================

15th April 2010

Welcome to UPDATE the Economics Network Email Newsletter.  This newsletter
is intended to inform Economics Network subscribers about our activities and
to provide other information that may be of interest.

===============
1. WHAT'S NEW
===============

SUCCESS STORIES - EVIDENCE OF IMPACT
A publication celebrating the contribution of the HEA Subject Centres to addressing the needs of discipline-based teachers and learners is now available. It includes a selection of success stories from the past ten years. The stories help to illustrate the impact of the wide-ranging work of the 24 Subject Centres (including the Economics Network). Further details are available from:
http://www.materials.ac.uk/resources/success-stories.pdf

REMINDER: STUDENT ESSAY COMPETITION
The Economics Network's annual Student Essay Competition is now open. Anyone
studying for an Economics degree in the UK is invited to submit a 1000 word essay, or a short video, to answer the question "How is your economics degree preparing you for life?"

The deadline is 19 April 2010 and prizes of up to £1000 are available. Further details are available on our student-focused web site StudyingEconomics.ac.uk:
http://studyingeconomics.ac.uk/student-essay-competition/

WORKSHOP REMINDER
Practical Approaches To Motivating International Students
London, Friday 30 April 2010
http://www.economicsnetwork.ac.uk/events/international0410

REMINDER: LEARNING AND TEACHING DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS
The Economics Network of the Higher Education Academy invites proposals from the UK Economics community for small projects to be funded in the next academic year. Projects will address the development, implementation and evaluation of innovative approaches to teaching, learning and assessment in Economics Higher Education.

Proposals should be received no later than Friday 30 April 2010. Further information, including application forms, available from:
http://www.economicsnetwork.ac.uk/projects/mini/call

================
2.  NOTICEBOARD
================

LEARNING AND TEACHING AWARDS
We are pleased to invite nominations from the economics community for our annual Learning and Teaching Awards. Scheme. The Awards are open to UK-based academics who have demonstrated excellent commitment, enthusiasm and effectiveness in their teaching practices.

There are three main categories: Outstanding Teaching, eLearning and Student Nominated. Every year the awards attract a wide range of entries and we are looking forward to another successful year. Each of the categories highlights a key area in the teaching of Economics.

The deadline for nominations is Wednesday 30th June 2010 and the winner of each category will receive £250. Additional information, including submission guidelines and online nomination forms are available at:
http://www.economicsnetwork.ac.uk/awards/

ELEARNING SYMPOSIUM
Bristol, Thursday 9 September 2010
This event will present a range of the latest technologies suitable for supporting economics teaching and research. There will be plenty of hands-on opportunities to try out technologies as well as workshop sessions including case studies.

Further detail about all our forthcoming events can be found at:
http://www.economicsnetwork.ac.uk/news

===================
3.  AND FINALLY..........

FACEBOOK ECONOMETRICIANS
http://econometricsstuff.blogspot.com/2010/02/facebook-econometricians.html

CONTACT US
If you have any suggestions, feedback or comments please contact:
Bhagesh Sachania, Information Manager, Economics Network
Email: [log in to unmask]