DIY University

Dr Jon Cloke <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:10:03 +0100

text/plain

"DIY U": The end of university prestige

How the growth of online learning is changing the way we
think about higher education

By Jed Lipinski

Salon

Higher education in this country is in a state of crisis.
Nearly nine out of 10 American high school seniors say
they want to go to college. Yet almost half of U.S.
college students drop out, outstanding student loan debt
exceeds $730 billion, and tuition fees rose 248 percent
between 1990 and 2008, more than any other major commodity
or service.

As Anya Kamenetz suggests in "DIY U: Edupunks,
Edupreneurs, and the Coming Transformation of Higher
Education," these problems, and the fact that students and
teachers are increasingly venturing beyond campus walls to
gather and share information, spell trouble for the future
of the conventional university. In her book, Kamenetz, the
author of “Generation Debt” and a staff writer for Fast
Company magazine, argues that a decentralized college
experience — in which the least effective parts of college
life are replaced by technology, social media and
self-directed learning — can limit dropout rates and
reverse the devastating cost spiral.

Kamenetz doesn’t advocate leaving the university behind,
but she envisions a future where the 80 percent of
American college students who attend non-selective schools
(mainstream public universities and community colleges)
create their own personalized course of study. Some
American universities are already making classes available
for free online, and using blogs, YouTube, Facebook and,
yes, Twitter, to move toward this new model for higher
education.

Salon recently spoke with Anya Kamenetz over the phone
about the origins of our massive student loan debt, her
own Yale education, and why we should look to England’s
educational system for guidance.

Why did you decide to write a book about reforming higher
education?

In 2005 I wrote "Generation Debt," which is about the
increase in student aid resulting from the growth of
college classes. I noticed this underlying tendency to try
to solve the problem by throwing more money at it. But
it’s like healthcare: Despite the increase in basic costs,
spending more and more money on it won’t make it more
affordable for people. Then I started working at Fast
Company, which operates at the intersection of innovation,
policy and politics. I began investigating the area of
higher education as an information industry that was
possibly ripe for the kind of disruption we’ve seen in
other information industries.

You argue for a movement toward something called "DIY U."
What is it?

I define it as the mentality that there’s another way to
provide the benefits of higher education to the people who
need it. It’s an idea that puts the learner at the center.
Rather than the game being, "How do you get into the most
exclusive institution possible?" the idea is that you as a
learner are identifying your own goals and assembling
experiences that will be the most valuable for you to
achieve those goals.

How did college tuition costs get so out of control?

On a broad policy historical level, what we have now is an
erosion from the high-water mark of the early 1970s. There
was a short period of time — from the postwar era with the
GI Bill to the early '70s — [in which] there seemed to be
unlimited rounds of investment from the federal government
and the state into mass higher education. It was seen as
good economic policy, from a national defense and security
perspective, and with the Civil Rights Act, there were
more and more people — women, minorities — who wanted
access to opportunity. College seemed like a way to allow
them to prove themselves instead of unleashing them on the
job market.

Then the economy turned upside down. There was a political
backlash against college students, fueled in large part by
the campus unrest in the '60s, and it was no longer so
popular to support students. So states started withdrawing
their support, and colleges started practicing cost
shifting. States came down on colleges as being fat and
happy and full of liberal professors, and colleges put the
cost burden on families, and families took on more student
loans. As a result, you get this credit bubble effect,
similar to what happened recently with mortgages: There’s
so much debt available, and so much free money for
colleges, that parents and families become less sensitive
to price increases, and there’s no political outcry at the
state level.

As you write in the book, colleges like Hofstra increased
their tuition simply to appear more prestigious on the
U.S. News & World Report rankings.

Right. The problem is, we don’t really know what happens
inside a college classroom. We have the SAT, which
measures high school performance more or less, but there
are no national standards for higher education. So the
U.S. News & World Report rankings depend on exclusivity
and spending. Colleges become more prestigious if they
accept fewer students and spend more money on them, as
opposed to raising their chances to succeed, improving
their self-esteem, or making them more efficient.

But competency-based online schools like the Western
Governors University, which awards degrees based on what
students have learned, don’t have the same reputation as
traditional schools like Amherst.

In the future, I don’t think it’ll go back to the old
model, where colleges have this brand name that everyone
respects. We still use college as shorthand for prestige,
but eventually that should be just one marker among many.
You’re not going to be applying for jobs on the strength
of your WGU diploma — you’re going to have to rely more on
your assessments in the field. But grads of WGU have found
they can satisfy employers by showing them what they’ve
done, more than where they’ve studied.

Though you attended Yale, a very traditional, very
prestigious four-year university.

I was very good at traditional school and college, where I
graduated with honors. All the time while absorbing
literature and Russian, I was also learning the
meta-skills of how to please my teachers and how to stay
away from any classes that might be too challenging or
outside my comfort zone. I made an attempt to design my
own major around literature and psycholinguistics, but
Yale threw up a lot of barriers to that.

My most relevant learning experiences took place outside
the classroom, editing my student magazine and working as
an intern at several different publications. Out in the
real world I was challenged to the max, pulling far more
all-nighters than I did for my papers. I was always a
bookworm, so I had to develop new ways of dealing with
people, whether sources, fellow writers or editors, and
gathering information from being on the scene. I actually
cut back on my class load my senior year so I could
commute to New York three days a week to intern at the
Village Voice, which is pretty rare among Ivy Leaguers.
But it turned out great: I found great mentors there, and
I was writing a column for the Voice just a couple years
later.

Is there another country we should be modeling our higher
education after?

There’s no perfect model. Every country in the world is
grappling with the unprecedented demand for higher
education. In the developing world, there are 10 or 20
times as many people who want a degree than there is
capacity. The developed countries have the same problems
as we do: The costs are going up, the institutions are
somewhat calcified and insulated from the job market.

I did, however, keep coming across innovative approaches
in England. The U.K. is very interesting since it has an
economy and standard of living similar to ours, but until
recently, they had a much smaller percentage of people
going through higher education. Today, they have many more
entrance points and a highly developed set of vocational
programs. Up until the age of 25, you can access a variety
of resources that set you up with apprenticeships and
internships. England’s Open University, which goes back to
the 1960s, when they had classes on television, is
currently a leader in open courseware.

Does open courseware mean we’ll be getting rid of
professors?

 From the earliest days of the academy, it’s been an ideal
to share knowledge openly — that scholars aren’t producing
knowledge primarily for personal gain but to share it with
the world. And it’s been a decade since MIT started their
OpenCourseWare project, putting all their courses online
for free. The biggest advocates of these changes tend to
be humanities professors and graduate students fascinated
by the implications of social media, by how people
communicate in the media world. But it’s important to
emphasize that these repositories are materials. It’s not
that by using OpenCourseWare you’re replicating an MIT
experience. You’re putting the raw material in someone’s
hands so that, by working alongside peers or a teacher of
some sort, you can absorb this knowledge. It’s the best
possible use of the Web.

More and more people are applying to trade schools, where
they can learn practical skills that won’t be offshored.
Can students really learn these trades online?

This has been a big question for me, and my major answer
is hybridization. Vocational schools are actually a good
example of the hybrid model, because when you’re in the
classroom you’re actually engaging with your hands. On
WikiEducator, for example, they have a series of videos on
chainsaw maintenance. But before you become a chainsaw
maintainer, you probably want to find a real person who
knows how to use a chainsaw. Offline and online aren’t
isolated experiences.

A whole DIY movement — exemplified by sites like Boing
Boing — comes from people going online to learn about
something, going offline and trying it out, and then going
back online to report what they did.

Copyright ©2010 Salon Media Group, Inc. Reproduction of
material from any Salon pages without written permission
is strictly prohibited.

--
Dr Jon Cloke
Lecturer