RM 2.0 challenges and solutions

E Lomas <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:51:21 +0000

Further to my email earlier in the week over 100 people have looked at the
mindmap on RM challenges but only 2 people have been inspired to add
comments.

As its Friday it would be great if some other people felt inspired to comment.
You can log in and add to the mindmap at:
http://www.mindmeister.com/44873728/rm-web-2-0-challenges-and-solutions

If you are a first time user you will need to register an email address and
password.

I have had some other people email and comment that they prefer the detail
that comes from the email exchanges and discussions on the listserv. If you
feel that the map is too simplistic then feel free to post any comments
on “What are the challenges, solutions and questions for Records Managers in
a Web 2.0 world?"

One discussion raised has been how will records managers in the West retain
their jobs when cheaper labour may be available overseas - given that our
digital assets may be stored and managed from anywhere in the world?

Elizabeth

Apologies for cross postings

Hi,

In anticipation of the presentation by Katharine Stevenson and Jon Shepherd
at the UK’s RMS Conference next week (when Katharine and Jon will be
demonstrating and discussing some of the  implications for RM of new
communication tools such as Google Wave, Ning, Moodle and MindMeister) the
Continued Communication team would like to invite you to add your ideas and
questions to a collaborative mindmap looking at the question:

“What are the challenges, solutions and questions for Records Managers in a
Web 2.0 world?"

You can log in and add to the mindmap at:
http://www.mindmeister.com/44873728/rm-web-2-0-challenges-and-solutions

If you are not already a user of MindMeister then you do need to register a
username, an email and password to edit the map. MindMeister is then free for
individuals to use and you can edit other maps and produce your own
(although there are certain limits on the free service in terms of map
numbers). Sign up at  https://www.mindmeister.com/home/signup_editions

Editing the map is easy as the process of adding comments is fairly intuitive -
click on the box you want to link to and then click on 'add', a new box will
then pop up for you to type into. Boxes can be dragged, remapped and linked
and you can edit existing comments. Like a wiki, all changes are tracked so
feel free to edit text. MindMeister has its own help on the site but feel free to
get back in touch with any queries.

The results of the mapping will be used to inform the Continued
Communication Group's research and will be shown at the RMS Conference -
we hope to continue the map throughout the Conference. The map will also be
available online for a couple of months so that around the world we can
reflect on the professional future (opportunities and risks for Records and
Information Managers) around the globe as information creation, storage and
management shifts.

Happy mapping!

Kind regards,

Elizabeth Lomas
Project Manager for the Continued Communication Research Group: an
international multidisciplinary group investigating communications in the 21st
century.
Northumbria University