Re: Paper storage is it reducing

Suzy Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:13:51 +0000

We have collected 'paper in' and 'paper out' stats to support our eRMS project and are currently on yr2 of our annual storage survey where we're collecting information to show a reduction in filing cabinet 'footprint'.  I expect to see a reduction as I know we've removed a significant amount of filing furniture in the last year.  We're expressing the volume in terms of 'small classrooms' to help staff visualise the benefits of eRMS.

Cheers

Suzy

Suzy Taylor
Records Manager
New College Durham
Framwellgate Moor
Durham
DH1 5ES

Tel: 0191 375 4422
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

"SAVE THE PLANET - PLEASE DO NOT PRINT THIS EMAIL UNLESS STRICTLY NECESSARY"

>>> "Tinsley, Chris" <[log in to unmask]> 12/03/2010 10:12 >>>
A Friday question

I have just been asked a question about the amount of paper we store and whether we could expect this amount to reduce over the coming years based on us becoming ever more reliant on electronic systems. The theory is that as things go in to structured databases and we sweep up unstructured information in an EDRMS and scan most of the rest in to the EDRM we end up with less and less physical stuff to store.

My experience of this is that the more we produce and store electronically the more we seems to have to store as paper.

Does anyone know of any studies in to this? Has anyone actually charted a reduction in the amount of paper we have to store due to increase reliance on electronic systems or is there still a steady increase in the amount of physical stuff being stored?

Chris Tinsley
Wiltshire Council

This email originates from Wiltshire Council and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential information and may be subject to Copyright or Intellectual Property rights. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and delete the email from your inbox. Any disclosure, reproduction, dissemination, modification and distribution of the contents of the email is strictly prohibited. Email content may be monitored by Wiltshire Council to ensure compliance with its policies and procedures. No contract is intended by this email, and any personal opinions expressed in this message are those of the sender and should not be taken as representing views of Wiltshire Council. Please note Wiltshire Council utilises anti-virus scanning software but does not warrant that any e-mail or attachments are free from viruses or other defects and accepts no liability for any losses resulting from infected e-mail transmissions.
Receipt of this e-mail does not imply consent to use or provide this e-mail address to any third party for any purpose. Wiltshire Council will not request the disclosure of personal financial information by means of e-mail any such request should be confirmed in writing by contacting Wiltshire Council.