Re: Poems on Todd Swift's blog

Desmond Swords <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc: poetry and poetics

Sun, 7 Mar 2010 13:20:26 +0000

Thanks Andy and Rob.

I can't help it Robin. It's a 'condition' I am constantly learning to live
with: making a knob of myself for no reason other than a desire to be
famous. I hit middle age as a long term failure-in-everything, and got into
the writing because I thought if I practised long enough, something might
come of it financially. Nine years later, unemployed since leaving Bob
Sheppard in Edge Hill, considered a weirdo and not PLU by the people I so
very much want to be like and be liked by, I've finally accepted the truth
that's been staring me in the face since first I deluded myself i might have
a future as a famous poet flying round the world and being on late night
cultural programmes on the BBC, as a sort of replacement talking head-mix of
Tom Paulin, now he's closer to an Oxford bus pass than the Belfast madness
that made his first flowering the visceral verse from which one learnt so
much about being a dabbler. I was never any good at being a famous poet and
so gave up faking it.

But i cannot and will not give up my right to free therapy at the online
dumps where the posts and markers on the rounds are, on which I squirt away
into the ether to be forgotten, unread by all but a few disiniterested
poetry heads all getting on with the more important biz of being as best we
can, not for money, status or rep, but because we are obsessed with
ourselves as people who have summat we wanna say, and instead of waiting for
the fair-play poetry champions of the British working class - Sir Andrew and
Dame Carol - to give us permission to feel good about ourselves and the
status of our poems, as we stand in line hoping it's our turn to get picked
- we give ourselves permission and stop being a million to one chance in the
game of prize and winner. The sole model of state in which a poet and their
poems can exist as real gear, for those who know this truth's self-evident.

At university I heard a lot about the words being the only thing that
matter, and it's true. I've always thought the most important thing is to
write and learn that way, instead of waiting for someone to discover me and
get big by being discovered by this or that VIP, conferring legitimacy on
the blather. Over the years, I came to see my mind was too far out-there for
most editors to take on. I do their heads in. I did make one or two subtle
moves in that direction, but the last one was put off after I told her of an
inexplicable vision I experienced ten years ago when a supernatual
manifestation occured in front of my very eyes, and after which the mind
prepared itself to accept, anything is possible and can happen. Not
something I'd usually share, but once the otherworldly apparition has
occured, as they say, that's a genie out the bottle and you in a very select
club of poet barmy nutters who all think are mad because we had the vision
they meet only in an academic sense, the pretenders being real 9-5.

Seeing and hearing in dimensions others don't, is not ideal for getting big
on Facebook, but inwardly it's the essential proof some higher force reveals
to you alone, and perfect if you wanna speak the art of seeing ghosts who
show us how to sing a tune the Tuatha De Danann wrought into a poem.