Re: The Power of Nightmares

Variant <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 29 Mar 2010 23:06:43 +0100

text/plain

Welcome to Creative Scotland, indeed!

Yes, the disturbing information was passed on for Variant's attention
by a concerned 'whistle-blower', and we've been putting it out there
since in the public interest, trying to make this 'terrorologist'
activity public.

To recap: Creative Scotland is formed from a triangulation of policy
geared towards “single purpose government” (the Scottish government's
own description), its raison d'être economic growth, so it makes
perfect business sense that, alongside the drive for 'terrorism
studies' (an expanding part of the knowledge economy), 'creatives'
should only naturally be instruments for purposes of state propaganda.
Fore, the economy!

Unfortunately, an unabashed entrepreneurial rigidity has been allowed
to supplant what little institutional autonomy could be clung to in
Scotland (with little mentionable academic, institutional, union nor
artistic defence) so it's hard to see where any comparable outrage such
as the anthropologists' (at similar attempts at co-option of their
expertise) might manifest...

Any suggestions, Simon?

Leigh
http://creativescotland.blogspot.com
Creative Scotland is the ................ merger and expanded
remit of the Scottish Arts Council and Scottish Screen. It is
an avowedly entrepreneurial exploit. Yet marketplace
“truths” require far greater scrutiny, as has been amply
demonstrated in recent months...

Variant
...in-depth coverage in the context of
broader social, political & cultural issues.

1/2 189b Maryhill Road
Glasgow G20 7XJ

    t. +44 (0)141 333 9522
    e. [log in to unmask]