(Apologies for cross-posting and to those who have already
received this email).....
*** 2nd request ***
I’m a new Dyslexia tutor and last Autumn some people kindly replied
me when I asked for assistance with info for an assignment as part of
my Dyslexia Studies diploma at B’ham Uni.
I’m wondering if you would kindly help me with a little more info,
this time for an assignment I need to do on Policy, Practice and
Provision for dyslexia in HE.
Could you take 5-10 minutes to answer the following questions please?
• Does your institution provide ‘yellow stickers’ or equivalent to
dyslexic students for attaching to assignments to alert staff to be
sympathetic in marking in relation to spelling, grammar etc? (if
do you have a similar – or alternative - arrangement?)
• How would you rate the level of awareness of teaching staff in your
institution concerning difficulties faced by dyslexic students? (Does
it vary by department?)
• Does your institution provide marking guidelines to staff for the
work of dyslexic students?
• Does your Disability Support service produce leaflet(s)
explaining dyslexia support at your institution? (please advise
electronic link, if there is one)
• Does your institution offer any drop-in sessions for dyslexic
students to get assistance with assignments? Are there any group
sessions offered on study skills to dyslexic students?
• When weekly 1:1 tuition is recommended and DSA funds this, are
enough tutors available to cover hours or is tuition limited in some
way (e.g. fortnightly instead of weekly)?
• Is there distinction in provision for dyslexic students between
those who have severe dyslexia compared to those who have milder
• Apart from 1:1 tuition and items mentioned above, is there any
support available to dyslexic students?
Your assistance is much appreciated (even brief replies are very
helpful). Information will only be used for the purpose of my
assignment and will not be made publicly available.
Dyslexia Studies Student (and new p-time tutor, Staffs Uni)