Re: Climate change and eco-collapse

"Barker, Tom" <[log in to unmask]>

Barker, Tom

Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:55:47 +0000

text/plain

Wow Jonathan!  I have no evidence to support or refute that, but it is a very interesting idea. What do the physicists say?
Intuitively (not always a good guide I admit), I would say that the earth system will be different from a purely physical response. That is because physics, and chemistry too, however dynamic and amazing they are, and you only have to see a recent Horizon-type programme to be impressed, are physical responses that seek equilibrium.  Think of some dust from the moon (grey), Mars (brown), Venus (yellow) etc. etc.  That's all there is there. Add biology, and you get all the wonders of nature, and the tip of that iceberg is illustrated brilliantly by the likes of David Attenborough.  Life is incredibly complex, more so even than physics and chemistry, because it uses them to exploit for resources, and expands their capacities. Ecology, as a descriptor of life, identifies patterns that work in nature. The alternative stable states model explains a common but not universal dynamic that occurs where ecosystems are under stress from an external driver. Buffering mechanisms reinforce the existing state even under extreme pressure. A single suitable shock can cause the system to flip to another state where new buffering mechanisms will form to reinforce it and prevent it from returning to the prior state, even when the external pressure is removed.  This is the real danger of a global 'flip'. There is no guaranteed way back. What are the buffering mechanisms of the present Earth state?  I would say the ocean system, total area of wild nature, total area of peat/tundra etc.
Earth, as a biological system, seems more likely to follow biological patterns as described by ecology than it does a purely physical system. That said, the atmosphere is dominated by physical dynamics, so I'm open to ideas, but am not qualified to comment on it.

I think the 2 degree point is a stab at the point of no return. We should be aiming for much lower. We'll need some sort of geoengineering to get there, on top of adopting low-carbon lifestyles. We've geoengineered the wrong way (burning fossil carbon) for too long.

Cheers, Tom

From: Jonathan Ward [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 13 March 2010 22:35
To: Barker, Tom
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Climate change and eco-collapse

Tom and Brian,

I am not entirely sure of the processes you are describing here, but is
it fair to compare the argument to Earth Systems being analogous to
phase transitions in physics?

Could the climate mirror, let's say, the phase transitions of water
(purely analogous, what with water being somewhat integral to our
climatic systems). This is pure conjecture as I write, and I'll have to
go away and think about it, but let's say we are approaching the energy
in the climatic system that corresponds to the latent heat required to
move beyond a co-existence of two (or more) climate states, and we
change phase into a new state (i.e. like the enthalpy of vaporisation).
This new state could exist at the temperature we found previously, but
the energy put into the system has pushed through the phase transition.
In the case of water at vaporisation, we can have water at 100C, then as
the water absorbs enough energy, it overcomes the intermolecular forces
and atmospheric pressure, and becomes a gas. These then co-exist for a
while in a ratio that will gradually see increasing gas levels, then
just gas if the system of water has absorbed enough energy.

A spot of man-flu is somewhat blurring my thoughts, but the point I am
wondering about is whether the so-called Earth systems and our climate,
in the context of tipping points, can be seen in energetic terms, in the
same manner as we consider the ability for water to co-exist in
different phases until energy pushes it through a phase transition. This
also relates to entropy, but I fear I must do some back of the envelope
scribblings to wonder how it applies to my analogy.

So, the crux of my argument, is the 2 degree/tipping-point idea, more
valid in terms of some other parameter which move the climatic systems
as whole, or perhaps individual ones, into another 'phase' or stable
state? More valid the simply talking about one of the many forms of
temperature average that we can measure (atmospheric, oceanic, SST,
land, global average, 5/10/50/100 year average and so on), or even
perhaps the CO2 or GHGe parameters?

I don't know how far the analogy works in terms of reversing the phase
transitions. Clearly, our climate has moved between states over time,
but we are changing the mixture of parameters, and the timescales
involved, render the transitions as effectively irreversible on our
timescales.

I'm fairly sure this must have been considered and modeled elsewhere, so
if anyone has any information, please point me in the right direction!

Whilst I am on the topic of entropy, John Gray's review of Jeremy
Rifkin's Empathic Civilization is in today's Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/mar/13/empathetic-civilization-jeremy-rifkin-climate
. He tries to argue that empathy is no match for entropy.
I also spotted a paper which may be of interest
http://www.springerlink.com/content/9476j57g1t07vhn2/fulltext.pdf
(apologies if someone recently sent this around, I can't remember how I
came across it). The title is Are there basic physical constraints on
future anthropogenic emissions of carbon dioxide? .

Best wishes

Jonathan