Help for CHILDREN-LITERATURE-UK Archives

CHILDREN-LITERATURE-UK Archives

CHILDREN-LITERATURE-UK Archives

children-literature-uk@jiscmail.ac.uk

CHILDREN-LITERATURE-UK Home

CHILDREN-LITERATURE-UK Home

CHILDREN-LITERATURE-UK  March 2010

CHILDREN-LITERATURE-UK March 2010

Re: Teen novels controversial issues

Dr Noga Applebaum <[log in to unmask]>

Academic discussion of all aspects of children's literature <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:53:38 +0000

I just finished the very new (published April 5th) Rich and Mad by William
Nicholson, which I think is a very good portrayal of first love and sex, and
in my opinion, better than Doing It . There is an anthology coming out in a
couple of months, called 'Losing It' which is edited by Keith Gray and
published by Andersen Press and is a collection of short stories by well
known authors for teens about 'first times'. I also recommend Julie Anne
Peters' Luna, about transgender issues, Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan
about sexual abuse, Anthony McGowan's The Knife that Killed Me about knife
crime (was flagged up for violence),  Inexcusable by Chris Lynch (rape from
the rapist's perspective), Tenderness by Robert Cormier (published 1997, but
still shocking and wonderful, and dealing with the meeting between two
damaged teenagers, one a sexually abused girl, and the other a psychopath
murderer), A Bad Boy is Good for a Girl by Tanya Lee Stone and Good Girls by
Laura Ruby, both dealing with girls' sexuality, This is All by Aidan
Chambers (although I think both Breaktime, published 1978, and Dance on My
grave, 1982, are better, and still groundbreaking in many ways, including
form), and Kevin Brooks' Killing God.
That's off the top of my head.
Noga