Re: Contemporary Verse II, Winnipeg

Lawrence Upton <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc: poetry and poetics

Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:28:20 -0000

Thanks, Doug

You're right

He knew all those guys; and more; and well. His contact with bp went way
back into the mid 60s and Paul Dutton was a guest at the writers forum
workshop whenever he was over -- he, Paul, wrote a fine piece about Bob in
Open Letter when Bob died

He knew the owen sound guys as you say and I have made use myself,
quoting, of Steven Ross Smith's "Ballet Of The Speech Organs" which is
titled from a favourite phrase of Bob's which I believe he got from
Shlovsky - the memory fades and now the mechanism of the memory fades!

I think Steven's interview was published in 98 so maybe it was from an
interview in 97, the last time Bob was in Canada - at Edmonton at
Eyerhymes

I'll let the clock go round 24 hours -- it's tea time here and I am going
to sit out the rush hours before heading home -- and then go direct to the
source tomorrow if no one else has a copy. I'll probably still be awake I
have drunk so much coffee today

I know or know of most of the stuff on Bob -- I've probably read this
quote in this book more times than something or other; but it's never
penetrated; and I don't believe I've ever seen the original... Not sure
when I last met Richard. (& I haven't been in Canada for 8 years; it's not
fair). Nothing to do with him. (I gave a talk / seminar last summer and I
am told that a friend of maybe 20 years sat beside me, while I spoke for
maybe an hour, before leaving quietly; and I didn't notice her!
Short-sighted and absorbed in my then subject. That took time to live
down); but it may be the best to ask him and may even be welcome!

Thanks for your response

I'll say -- maybe b.c. if no one else responds -- if and when I get a
copy; so that if you don't hear and you do some time come near a copy then
you'll know I'd be grateful for a look -- if you don't mind

thanks again