Re: hard rain

Max Richards <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc: poetry and poetics

Sun, 14 Feb 2010 06:17:48 +1100

Can't speak for Sydney, Doug, but Melbourne sure did have some hard rain.

Yet rising at 6am this Sunday morning, I still have to wonder, did my little
front garden get enough on Thursday to let me off my allowed stint with the
handheldhose.
My neighbour said to me It fell so fast most of it ran off into the drains and
so down to the creek we overlook.
Whence at least the lake will have got some muchneeded replenishing.
Around 4pm, lightning, he said, struck so close and loud to where he was
watching from his front veranda, he exclaimed to his wife It must have struck
Max's place.
We were only a mile away in the food hall at Westfield Doncaster mall, which
looks out over a wide panorama west to the Melbourne city centre.
Lightning repeatedly struck above our heads, people screamed, the lights merely
flickered.
My wife said Better get home to the dog (alone since the old one died and not
happy).
We had to wade through inches of water to get to our car in the rooftop carpark
(the same one from which we witnessed last February the fires outside Melbourne
destroying forests of the Dividing Range and the bush town of Kinglake...).
Dog was not hysterical the way some dogs get.
Next day we saw pictures of a house in Templestowe, the next suburb, burning in
the rain. Lightning struck it - family absent - neighbours and fire brigade were
shown exclaiming and deploring.

Ach, och.
Just weather, not climate.
Worse in Sydney.