Help for DISTANCE-SAMPLING Archives

DISTANCE-SAMPLING Archives

DISTANCE-SAMPLING@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DISTANCE-SAMPLING Home

DISTANCE-SAMPLING  February 2010

DISTANCE-SAMPLING February 2010

understanding spatial variation in detection functions

Alex Anderson <[log in to unmask]>

Alex Anderson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 5 Feb 2010 13:33:02 +1000

Hi All,
I am currently using DISTANCE to analyse data from line transect surveys
of rainforest birds.  My general aims are to relate community structure
to environmental variables such as climate.  My sampling is stratified
across both latitude and elevation, with my interest being in
contrasting the density of different species in my strata and relating
that to the environments in these strata.  My use of the distance
approach is motivated by the problem of comparing count data between
locations with potentially different habitat structures, such as across
an elevational gradient, because of the potential for the shape of
detection functions to vary, biasing the estimates of density.  While
all my surveys are in rainforest, and as such the habitat variable is
somewhat controlled, I would like to be able to test if this assumption
is correct., hence my applying the DISTANCE method.   Apologies if this
as an obvious question,  and please recommend some further reading for
me if that will suffice (!) but I am searching for a simple explanation
of how to use DISTANCE to compare not the /estimated densities/, which I
expect will vary according to the environmental preferences and spatial
distribution of the species, but the shape of the function itself, which
I assume (perhaps erroneously) will remain constant where conditions are
constant (despite actual changes in density of species), and will vary,
eg where habitat is more dense or the canopy lower.  Any thoughts would
be much appreciated.
regards

Alex Anderson

Phd Candidate,
Centre for Tropical Biodiversity and Climate Change
School of Marine and Tropical Biology
James Cook University, Townsville *
email: [log in to unmask]
*